Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Kernel problems

I ran a post a while back about acpi=off param needed to boot.
    I have circumvented the problem thanks to Toz and the incredible help given, and now have a working 11.10 with the lucid Kernel.
    I have posted a bug in launchpad, and questions on askubuntu, and other things.
    So... I am attempting once again to figure out what the bug is. The kernel broke in the transition to Maverick. I saw on the release notes that CMOV support and older processors are no longer supported.... but someone pointed out to me that my computer has neither issue.
    Basically I need to find out WHO to contact, or WHAT to look for. I have plenty of my info listed here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/903961

I have been dealing with this for over a year (obvious from, Maverick)
    So I am dualbooting my stable Lucid, and my experimental Oneric with Lucid kernel.
    So far Oneric w lucid kernel works great, but I know it is not recommended and could cause some problems, which is why I use Lucid normally, and only have oneric to test, and post info, and try patches (if any exist)

Any help is very appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Kernel problems

I see that you have a Hewlett-Packard Presario R3200 (PF153UA#ABA)

Have you tried several of the suggested boot options? Not only acpi=off, but the others:
    noapic nolapic nomodeset ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yes....and the only other one that work (well... some of the time) was the acpi_osi=/"Windows 2001 SP1/" (or 2006, or 2001 SP2 but none worked all the time) acpi=off was the only one that works consistantly. Sometimes booting recovery mode and then selecting "resume normal boot" works... but not always. acpi=off doesn't work in the 64bit either... and it would sometimes boot normally.
    I have tried just about everything I can try, now I need to find out where to go to get the problem resolved

Beans
    Hidden!

It is strange that some options work sometimes. Could it be that something is not quite 'awake' when it is needed? What if you wait for ten extra seconds at the grub menu? (You can test it manually stopping the countdown with the up/down arrow keys, and make it permanent later in the grub configuration.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

no... it hangs up during the boot, after I have put in options... it is after the floppy and firewire load.
    Grub does fine.... I have set it to an indefinite wait before, and there was no change

Beans
    Hidden!

I have no more ideas now. Let us hope someone else ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The thing is, kernels move on.

So, in your bug report, you were asked to test the latest kernel, did you do that ?

Either the problem will persist (most likely) in which case they well investigate, or it will be resolved.

But they are not going to fix a previous kernel release.

So you need to test with a mainline kernel

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Mainl...MainlineBuilds
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah I tried 3.2-rc2-oneric 3.2-rc4-oneric (as I am testing oneric on m other partition)
    I even updated the tag to include "kernel-bug-exists-upstream"
    I will continue to test things. So far running the last Lucid kernel allows the system to run without any noticeable flaws... though there may be some I am unaware of.

surely there is some way to add a patch or a module or something?

What more can I post, and look for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    Yeah I tried 3.2-rc2-oneric 3.2-rc4-oneric (as I am testing oneric on m other partition)
    I even updated the tag to include "kernel-bug-exists-upstream"
    I will continue to test things. So far running the last Lucid kernel allows the system to run without any noticeable flaws... though there may be some I am unaware of.

surely there is some way to add a patch or a module or something?

What more can I post, and look for?
    If you tried the mainline kernel, you need to then update your bug report and the kernel team will start to look at the problem.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    If you tried the mainline kernel, you need to then update your bug report and the kernel team will start to look at the problem.
    What do you mean update it?
    I updated the tags (as I was told to do when I tested it). Do I need to install the kernels again and run ubuntu-bug linux again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast