Thread: shnsplit, splitting FLAC

Beans
    Hidden!

shnsplit, splitting FLAC

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here and I've been searching for hours trying to split a flac file into a few separate flac files. I use this command:
    Code:
    shnsplt <filename>
    Then I enter the split points in m:ss format, but I don't know what to enter to indicate the final split point (which happens to be the end of the file in my case). The man page is not helpful.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: shnsplit, splitting FLAC

What you need my friend is the most excellent "flacon"... which isn't in the repos for reasons known only to... dunno who...

https://launchpad.net/~flacon/+archive/ppa

Essential CUE/FLAC splitting software if ever there was some - enjoy

EDIT: Just re-read your original post... Have you got a cue file? If not it is simple to create your own using the info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29
    Last edited by satanselbow; December 18th, 2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: cuesheet creation
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: shnsplit, splitting FLAC

I just put the times into a text file, one per line, and used the -f option. That worked, but I'm still wondering how to specify <eof> on the terminal (and it's not entering no input).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    What you need my friend is the most excellent "flacon"... which isn't in the repos for reasons known only to... dunno who...

https://launchpad.net/~flacon/+archive/ppa

Essential CUE/FLAC splitting software if ever there was some - enjoy

EDIT: Just re-read your original post... Have you got a cue file? If not it is simple to create your own using the info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29
    Thanks for the suggestion. I saw it when searching, but it seemed like massive overkill to split one flac file and I really want to know what I was doing wrong.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: shnsplit, splitting FLAC

Every audio CD that comes into my house gets backed up as CUE/FLAC before the kids / dogs destroy them so it falls into the "essential software" category for me

Cue + Flac is like Bread + butter so it seems logical to use the app designed for the job
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Hidden!

The first thing I do with CD's is rip them into flac before they get scratched. The reason I don't create a cue file when ripping is because music players read them as playlists and create multiple entries when I add the CD directory.

Anyway, I was splitting a "hidden track" that's on the end of a CD after a long period of silence, so I don't think that would have shown in the cue.

Thanks for the tips, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Commandline with SoX if you have no cuefile

TRIM AND SPLIT AUDIO

sox filename.flac 1.flac --show-progress trim 0 02:00 && sox filename.flac 2.flac --show-progress trim 02:00 01:13

on a file called filename lasting 3:13
    if you wish to split in 2 files one 2 min and one 1:13

================================================== =======================

yes flacon is good too and cokeid split-lossless script too bOth of these require a cuefile. They are for splitting single file lossless albums if that is what you are after shnsplit is clumsier than those 2; anyway i put the info for that too further down ; flacon is really good

=================

if one wants to use shnsplit and you have a cuefile [answer to your original question]

you need
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cuetools

Shnsplit requires a list of break-points with which to split an audio file. Conveniently, cuebreakpoints prints the break-points from a cue or toc file in a format that can be used by shnsplit. You can pipe the output of cuebreakpoints to shnsplit as follows:

Code:
    cuebreakpoints sample.cue | shnsplit -o flac sample.flac

In this example, a flac file called “sample.flac” is split according to the break-points contained in “sample.cue” and the results are output in the flac format.

The output file format is specified via the “-o” option. If you don’t specify an output format your split files will be in shntool’s default format (i.e., wave files, “wav”). you can also use -o wv -o shn -o ape

here is all the info you need
    Last edited by shantiq; December 19th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    Anyway, I was splitting a "hidden track" that's on the end of a CD after a long period of silence.

Commandline with SoX if you have no cuefile

TRIM AND SPLIT AUDIO

sox filename.flac 1.flac --show-progress trim 0 02:00 && sox filename.flac 2.flac --show-progress trim 02:00 01:13

on a file called filename lasting 3:13
    if you wish to split in 2 files one 2 min and one 1:13
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt