Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just need to ventilate...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just need to ventilate...

... and ask you guys to help me put things in perspective!

I've been around linux and ubuntu for quite some time, it must have been 6 years or more! Recently I switched to Kubuntu 11.10, because I'm not a huge fan of the new Ubuntu desktop experience, flavours differ, right?

I use my laptop (dell E6510) on a professional level, i.e. I teach practical courses in biochemistry and physiology at university and have been happy with the progress made by ubuntu over the years! It actually has become or is becoming mature and my main OS. Yet after the last kernel upgrade (3.0.0-15) suddenly suspend no longer works, resulting in a black screen after resume. I use this function quite often, as I spend time either in the lab, either in the office and drag my pc along, so not having to shutdown time and time again is quite 'nice'.

For this bug, no solution is available yet and by far I'm not leaving the 'linux way'... but sometimes, maybe it's the gloomy weather outside affecting my mood, I don't feel like thinkering for hours -again- to get things running, especially when all was fine before (no, installing previous and older kernels, suggested solutions, etc. don't do the trick either)... though I have to admit, it is quite fulfilling to get things working after a couple of hours of command line

And maybe I'm wrong, but I think these regressions and subsequent inconveniences are partly co-responsible for people not embracing or appreciating linux to the fullest. Somewhere along the line you get an excellent fine tuned system, running fast as lightning and out of the blue a bug pops up reducing productivity, creating an 'Oow no not again feeling'... though the annoyance is minor in my case, it still is another annoyance in a long line of annoyances! And I'm not sure if 'loosing' time like this would be tolerated in a corporate environment!

Your thoughts? Preferably positive ones

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Just need to ventilate...

Regressions happen, even in a corporate environment. Not really sure there is anything we can do.

On a more practical note, 3.0.0-15 seem to be still in the proposed repository, or, in other words, in testing. Perhaps you shouldn't be testing, if that particular machine needs stability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

You are using kernel 3.0.0-15, so I assume you are installing pre-released updates.
    How you can use your computer in professional level and simultaneously using the same computer for experimenting purposes?
    Using pre-released staff means you are confronting crashes every once in a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello NiKoC

Ventilation is always good!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/904569

Suggest you add yourself to the bug above? Looks related.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...revious+kernel

This post suggests a method for booting into previous kernel by un-installing the recent one. I'd personally just set the 3.0.0.14 kernel as my 'default' in grub and leave the linux package installed so that a future updated kernel will be installed.

PS: I have Debian Stable on this PC as my stable fallback

Beans

Well, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Once you got your machine to work properly again, turn the auto-update / auto-screw-up feature off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know what you mean...I'm sitting here in front of a laptop with quad cores, more memory than you can shake a stick at, graphics to make your eyes water...and I have to reboot the damn thing after every time it goes into suspend. I should dig around and see if I can come up with a solution for it, roll up my sleeves, fire up a terminal, but I really don't feel like doing that right now.

Meh. It's part of the price I pay for having extraordinarily flexible, configurable, powerful and free software.

Fair trade-off, I think.

Good luck with the resume thing. I know, it's a PITA.

Beans
    Distro

And that's why I like the forum that much

Always some good advice! Hadn't really thought about disabling pre-released updates, so I'll try that as soon as I'm on my linux machine! I wasn't really consciously aware that I was using pre-released sources, must have ticked it some day out of curiosity and never really had any problems before! So unticking would roll back my current kernel!

I'll also subscribe to the bug report!

Should have 'ventilated' on Wednesday and save me a couple of days of irritation

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by NikoC View Post
    And that's why I like the forum that much

Always some good advice! Hadn't really thought about disabling pre-released updates, so I'll try that as soon as I'm on my linux machine! I wasn't really consciously aware that I was using pre-released sources, must have ticked it some day out of curiosity and never really had any problems before! So unticking would roll back my current kernel!

I'll also subscribe to the bug report!

Should have 'ventilated' on Wednesday and save me a couple of days of irritation

Thanks

Unticking the proposed repository will not roll anything back or forward. Either uninstall 3.0.0-15 or select an older kernel from the Grub menu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Unticking the proposed repository will not roll anything back or forward. Either uninstall 3.0.0-15 or select an older kernel from the Grub menu.
    Will do! I've been directed to some useful pages concerning the matter! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[annoying_English_teacher]I usually use a fan for ventilation. Maybe an open window.
    However, when I want to vent I usually post a rant on the forums[/annoying_English_teacher]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast