Thread: Screen randomly changes colour - Help

Beans

Screen randomly changes colour - Help

Heya guys

I've recently changed from Ubuntu 11.04 because of not liking the Unity interface... And changed to Mint 11, which I like better because of it's using GNOME, and for the crisp display and vibrant desktop

But I also changed from 11.04 to get away from a screen problem, every now and then my screen would go multi coloured and show nothing to work apart from the cursor...

It's still happening in Mint 11... So I know it's defs not a distro problem... But I have no idea how to fix it or what it could even be...

Could anyone give me even an idea of what it could be? I can try to fix it myself but I don't even know where to start... It's pretty saddening to think that at any moment my screen could turn on me and freeze up, leaving me one option, to reboot...

Cheers, I can also take a photo of what it looks like the next time it happens if that will help?

CJ
    Intermediate Linux knowledge, 3 distro's tried and loved 8)

Beans

Re: Screen randomly changes colour - Help

Attached to this reply is a photo of what my screen looks like during the failure...

Could it be a driver failure?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Recently did a search on Google for possible fixes and found this link...

http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1440508.htm

I'll mark this thread as closed since in the end I had to help myself... lol

Beans

Similar thing used to happen on my old computer. Screen would just freeze and colors would change. But I couldn't do anything, not even move cursor, had to reboot.

The problem was the graphics card, I had to change it, now everything's ok.
    Your left hand is touching your face.

Beans

Wow dood, harsh computer haha

The same thing happens to me, shows the colours like in the photo link, but I can still move the cursor, just can't see anything properly lol... Unfortunately getting a new graphics card isn't an option for me, as I'm running it on a netbook, and don't have the money to waste on one for such a small computer haha

Cheer for the reply

CJ

Beans

I'm afraid this could be a hardware problem. But try if it's drivers first.

I'd try using the default driver and see if the problem still occurs. Graphics might not be the best, but if the problem wouldn't appear again then you'd be on a good way on finding out what's wrong.

And since you said you only used distros with Linux it could be that you used the same driver on all of them. Maybe try using a different driver?
    Your left hand is touching your face.