Thread: Help please?

Beans

Question Help please?

Hello, i have i Dell precision 670, 2g of RAM, 160g HDD, running ubuntu server 11.10. I installed ubuntu, restarted, set up samba, and installed ubuntu-desktop. I restarted and during boot, the system read "Checking for running unattended-upgrades:", then listed a couple of things that all read ok, except for one that read something like starting error generation report which read fail. It froze on that screen and did nothing for 10 minutes. I tried restarting it, and now it stopped at "Checking for running unattended-upgrades:" and reads nothing afterwards; it simply will not progress past this screen. I tried booting in recovery mode, and it just froze on a different screen.

Someone help please? I'm trying to set up this little home file server as a surprise for my dad.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help please?

The Desktop version of Ubuntu works really well as a file server, and you won't notice any performance difference. It also takes about 5% as much effort to set up.

Beans

Re: Help please?

Definitely sounds like an option. For future reference, and simply out of curiosity, does anyone have any clues as to why this is happening?