Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Googlification of Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Googlification of Everything

Hey guys,

I'm just curious about your opinion on Google and on the Googlification of Everything. Mail, media, search engine, operating systems: Google is everywhere it seems.

As most of you use open source software I imagine, I suppose you have an opinion about this. What is it? And how do you feel about security issues and breach of privacy?

Benjamin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Googlification of Everything

The problem is that we love it. I cannot use any other browser than Chrome and I cannot live a minute without my Gmail. About Google+ I'm not sure but I use it. Picasa is good as well. I use Google reader and I tried Google Chrome OS but I find it extremely simple. Is that something else of Google to use?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    The problem is that we love it.
    Right! Right?

It's so annoying because they're quite good at what they do. Yet I try to be self-aware and not to give them too much power. I'm purposely not using Google +, and I think of moving blogging to Tumblr or something.

But at the same time they're really creepy. Can you imagine an internet monopolised by Google?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    Right! Right?

It's so annoying because they're quite good at what they do. Yet I try to be self-aware and not to give them too much power. I'm purposely not using Google +, and I think of moving blogging to Tumblr or something.

But at the same time they're really creepy. Can you imagine an internet monopolised by Google?
    Have you ever heard of Facebook? It's not owned by Google.

Why tumblr? why not soup.io?
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessNow View Post
    Have you ever heard of Facebook? It's not owned by Google.
    Yes I use Facebook (not that I'm proud of it though )

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessNow View Post
    Why tumblr? why not soup.io?
    Complete randomness affected by large ignorance of available services.

Beans

It is all choice and down to personal ID management.

I use gmail account but not for personal stuff nor do i store personal contact info with them.

I dont use social networking so google + is irrelvant.

Their search engine is second to none if you use it correctly.

They have tons of great apps which i use but do not encroach on my personal ID.

Google know nothing about me, or at least nothing i dont want them to know.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    It is all choice and down to personal ID management ... Google know nothing about me, or at least nothing i dont want them to know.
    I wonder to what extent "hiding" from Google really is effective. Are not each of my searches associated with my IP or some other identifier, even if I don't provide name and address?

I know my email is searched through and I know the government of the country I live in has lists of people using certain terms in their emails etc. and that Google happily provides that data.

And is there any "safe" alternative? Is internet at all private?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    I wonder to what extent "hiding" from Google really is effective. Are not each of my searches associated with my IP or some other identifier, even if I don't provide name and address?

I know my email is searched through and I know the government of the country I live in has lists of people using certain terms in their emails etc. and that Google happily provides that data.

And is there any "safe" alternative? Is internet at all private?
    Well if you choose to show your real IP.

However Google do not spend their time and money tracing every IP that uses its services and then contacting each ISP and taking them to court to get the records of their customers....LOL
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Well if you choose to show your real IP.

However Google do not spend their time and money tracing every IP that uses its services and then contacting each ISP and taking them to court to get the records of their customers....LOL
    I obviously know too little on the technical side, I wouldn't know how to hide my IP at all.

On the other hand I know for a fact that the government of my country of residence is using ISP etc. to filter communications. That has been in force since the 9/11 stories. As a student in area studies, areas including countries like Pakistan etc., I have more than once used the key words used to parse communications.

I don't believe Google offers everything for free, they have a good strategy and their advertisement is not the only source of their revenue, I barely see these ads anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Bring it on. Google offer an excellent range of services, and are a lot better at showing some respect to their users than some other companies of the same stature.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast