Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Googlification of Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Googlification of Everything

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Does Google Docs save as you type, or do you have to save your project?
    It auto-saves as you go and you can watch as the other people are editing the files.

I was writing messages for her in the document where she could see it because you can see exactly where their cursor is. Plus there is the chat window on the side.

Google docs allows reverting to an older version, and I think dropbox allows the same thing.

With collaborating on documents, I prefer using Google Docs because then I don't have to worry about incompatibilities between Microsoft Office and the older OpenOffice on our Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and LibreOffice on the Fedora 14/openSUSE 12.1/Ubuntu 11.10 laptop (I won't even mention the Microsoft Office 2000 one...)
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I know they retain every bit of info you enter to search but, if you're searching how to make bombs, etc. you pretty much deserve what you get.

Google owns Youtube and I like the fact that they refuse to remove videos of police brutality taken by people peacefully protesting.
    This all depends on the context. Suppose WW2 happened in the internet era, the French resistance then would probably have made use of internet to exchange information, with a maximum privacy.

What I'm trying to say is: if such a context were to occur again, how much power over information and privacy will have people given over to Google (and Google-like) by then? And what guarantees these companies will take the "right" stand?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    This all depends on the context. Suppose WW2 happened in the internet era, the French resistance then would probably have made use of internet to exchange information, with a maximum privacy.

What I'm trying to say is: if such a context were to occur again, how much power over information and privacy will have people given over to Google (and Google-like) by then? And what guarantees these companies will take the "right" stand?
    I once was very reluctant to use google and tried without success to find an alternate that even came close.
    But, since I heard the police wanting Google to take down the police brutality videos, such as the Berkley, CA
    students sitting peacefully while being pepper sprayed and Google flat down refused. I now have a different perspective of Google.
    Many other videos of police brutality being used against very peaceful protesters were demanded to be taken down but, Google refused.
    One was of an ex-marine who served in Iraq and Afghanistan who was standing still with a US flag in his hand and the police intentionally shot him in the head with a tear gas canister.
    They fractured his skull and for a long time he could not even talk but, he is getting better now.
    Anyway, I trust Google more than I trust our own government to do the right thing at the present time.

By doing this, I believe Google has proven that it has taken the "right" stand.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    You can definitely simultaneously work on it from different locations, because I've used Google Docs with co-workers, and I could see in real-time stuff they were typing on a document as I was also typing in that same document.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    It auto-saves as you go and you can watch as the other people are editing the files.
    That's pretty wild. I haven't used Google Docs since they first came out with it. I'll have to check it out again to see how it has progressed.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've recently cut back on my Google usage. I now use blekko for search and I've given up on Gmail. It's not really privacy that concerns me, but that Google are just so arrogant and ignore their users more than any other big company. Well, except for Apple maybe, but their customers are quite submissive really.

I'm not religiously cutting Google out of my life though, I'll still use YouTube without signing in and Google Earth, etc. I'll perhaps buy an Android smartphone pretty soon also.

Beans

I have used GMail for quite some time now. I went over to Chrome from Firefox about a year ago. Now that I have Ubuntu I use Chromium. I find Google Docs and the Calendar very useful. I finally succeeded in getting my wife to use the docs and now I think she is afraid to save anything on our computer seeing that we had a recent hard drive failure and she lost of a things she worked pretty hard on. I also agree that the Android OS is great and loved it when I had a cell phone, but am also glad that I don't have a cell phone any longer. Now I actually am able to get away from the rest of the world when I'm not near a computer.

All in all I have and will continue to use all things Google until I find a good reason not to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dragonbite: I haven't had a chance to get back to this, but I do understand that Google Docs does a hell of a lot of things that Dropbox doesn't, and for that matter, of course, the reverse is true - they're not equivalent services. For my purposes, it's better to have a local copy and a backup in the cloud in case one or the other isn't accessible for some reason, including server outages and so on. I also don't need to collaborate much, and generally on projects where it's useful to keep files in a number of filetypes all in one bucket but where I don't have to think about simultaneous editing.

So again, the "for my purposes" was the key bit, there. = )

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    Yes I use Facebook (not that I'm proud of it though )

Complete randomness affected by large ignorance of available services.
    I wasn't promoting that you use Facebook btw just pointing out the obvious that Google does not own everything. In fact I closed my Facebook and Twitter accounts about a year ago.

Now with that said I have been using Google Chrome OS exclusively since early December 2010 when they sent me a free CR48, I now also use a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook. I have been using my Google Nexus One even longer...Google services I use regularly are Google Chrome OS, Google Android OS, Google Maps, Google Images, Google Search, Gmail,Google Calendar, Google Docs, Picasa, Picnik, Youtube, Google Music, Blogger, Google Voice, goo.gl URL Shortener, Google News, Google Chrome, Google plus, Google Checkout, Clock Chrome App by Google: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hefifbcddgdkhm

etc., etc.

Using Google services saves me about $130 per month.
    Last edited by HappinessNow; December 15th, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    I've recently cut back on my Google usage. I now use blekko for search and I've given up on Gmail. It's not really privacy that concerns me, but that Google are just so arrogant and ignore their users more than any other big company. Well, except for Apple maybe, but their customers are quite submissive really.

I'm not religiously cutting Google out of my life though, I'll still use YouTube without signing in and Google Earth, etc. I'll perhaps buy an Android smartphone pretty soon also.
    They ignore their users?? How so? I've always been very satisfied with the feedback process, most recently with Google+.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That's pretty wild. I haven't used Google Docs since they first came out with it. I'll have to check it out again to see how it has progressed.
    I checked out Google Docs. It sure has come a long way since I tried it when it was first released. I still like MS Office much, much better, though. If there is only one cursor, I don't really understand how real time collaboration is useful. Presentations, maybe, but not actually collabing on a project.

Anyway, I can't believe they don't have Docs available for Android. That just doesn't make sense.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast