Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Googlification of Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Googlification of Everything

HowToGeek has a good Infographic about Google and Memory. Makes me want to think twice about using Google, if I can remember to not like it

Google and Memory [Infographic]
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just wish Google put more thought into user interfaces and workflow. I love their services, though, and have used them even more extensively since getting into Android phones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I use the search engine because Google provides the best results of the many I have tried , but have no accounts with Google .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    railroad ?

I dont store anything from my android phone on google servers, and the account i use solely so i can use the market is a throwaway gmail account for only that purpose.

There is no requirement to store anything.
    I never said it was a requirement. What I mean by "railroading" is that they steer you that direction and make it significantly harder to do things a different way so that people will just end up doing it the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Dropbox (and Ubuntu One) is very different than Google Docs (and SkyDrive).

Dropbox, and UbuntuOne, synchronizes files with a location that happens to be on the internet. Another way to think of it is a "copy" is stored online automatically and can be further copied to all of the systems you set up. People may have access to the online version, but the individual versions are still independent and not exposed.
    Does Google Docs save as you type, or do you have to save your project? If you have to save your project, then you can't really simultaneously be working on it from different locations.

Dropbox immediately syncs with their server as soon as I save a file. I've even used it with software that is constantly saving in the background, and Dropbox is constantly syncing without me ever doing anything. I don't really see how that is any different, except that you also have a local copy, which means if you're already synced, you don't have to wait for it to download. I use Dropbox to collab my MS Office projects from different locations, and it works great. Files are small enough that it doesn't take any time at all to sync, and it's all automatic.

The reason I like Dropbox for collabs is because I'm not bound to a certain set of apps, and I can store any type of file I want. The thing I don't like about it is that it costs a lot to get more space than 2GB, unless you can refer a bunch of people.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I never said it was a requirement. What I mean by "railroading" is that they steer you that direction and make it significantly harder to do things a different way so that people will just end up doing it the easy way.

ahh my bad, i read it like you thought it was forced.

no worries.

cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Does Google Docs save as you type, or do you have to save your project?
    It saves as you go, especially since some of the recent upgrades. It's pretty snappy now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What exactly are you afraid of?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    It saves as you go, especially since some of the recent upgrades. It's pretty snappy now.
    In that case, I can see that as a definite benefit. But since I personally wouldn't need that, I'm pretty satisfied with the versatility you get from using Dropbox. I can definitely see how that would be beneficial to some people, though.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use google for most of my searches as they produce the best results. I also use it to spell check words occasionally.

I know they retain every bit of info you enter to search but, if you're searching how to make bombs, etc. you pretty much deserve what you get.

Google owns Youtube and I like the fact that they refuse to remove videos of police brutality taken by people peacefully protesting.

The same cannot be said of Yahoo and the other video websites.

I also have an android phone which requires a gmail account but, I don't use it for email.
    The android phone also is based on the linux kernel. Which I really like.

Can you imagine those people that have windows based phones when it does a blue screen! LOL!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does Google Docs save as you type, or do you have to save your project? If you have to save your project, then you can't really simultaneously be working on it from different locations.
    You can definitely simultaneously work on it from different locations, because I've used Google Docs with co-workers, and I could see in real-time stuff they were typing on a document as I was also typing in that same document.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast