Thread: Help Installing Msn with Wine, without complications, on Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Question Help Installing Msn with Wine, without complications, on Ubuntu 11.04

Heya guys and gals...

Once again I come to the Ubuntu forums to collect a prtion of the expertise of the people on here...

I'm currently using amsn to talk to my gf who lives in the UK, but it is not up to standard... Very primitive menus, and there is no webcam or even mic support...

My question is: How do I install the latest version of MSN onto my Ubuntu 11.04 OS with Wine? If you can, offer me detailed and "dumbed down" instructions on how to do this, I am getting pretty proficient with using linux OS', but I want to get this done in one swoop, without complications if they can be avoided...

I'm getting really sick of not being able to cam with my gf, so I'm looking for ANY alternative which 100% allows cam

Cheers for any help you can give me (Y)
    Intermediate Linux knowledge, 3 distro's tried and loved 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Help Installing Msn with Wine, without complications, on Ubuntu 11.04

Very difficult case for Wine. Why don't you try emesene? You can install it from Ubuntu Software Center.

Beans

I'm only looking for MSN or alternatives that without a shadow of a doubt allow 100% webcam chatting...

Basically, I don't want to go back to Windows, but I am thinking about it if Linux doesn't offer a good enough MSN alternative... As far as I know, amsn is supposed to be the best of the lot... But so far it's proving to be very sub-par...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've also had frequent but intermittent succes in using video chat with empathy on my side and LiveMessenger on the remote side. I must say I've had better succes at this with Mint than with Ubuntu, though.

If it's hassle free video chatting you want though, why not consider Skype on both platforms?
    Last edited by arubislander; December 12th, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added afterthought...
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Emesene doesn't have webcam support unfortunately. I could never find an alternative to WLM 2011 for Linux, hopefully what about using different clients like Google Talk on GMail or Skype?

Beans

My gf only uses MSN, so it's either I find a hassle free MSN alternative on linux, or go back to Windows and use actual MSN lol

Thanks anyway guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by CJ-1990 View Post
    My gf only uses MSN, so it's either I find a hassle free MSN alternative on linux, or go back to Windows and use actual MSN lol

Thanks anyway guys
    +1 for your avatar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CJ-1990 View Post

Thanks anyway guys
    Not that I advocate going back to windows, but you could try running MSN on a XP install inside VirtualBox. Enable USB pass-through so your USB webcam will connect into the virtual install. This way you can at least test out webcam support on a linux client, and immediately switch to windows if it doesn't work without having to reboot.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

I would try basically anything else before resorting to installing msn through wine. It's a horrible bloated badly designed sorry excuse of a messaging client. Try literally anything else in the software center or maybe look at those messenger services through the browser like meebo (i'm sure there's better ones).

Even if I needed to install a messaging client through wine I'd try something else like trillian before the msn client. Just my 2 cents.

There's a native version of skype for linux, maybe you could both use skype?
    Last edited by guyver_dio; December 13th, 2011 at 10:10 AM.