Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formatting a micro sd card using gparted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Formatting a micro sd card using gparted

Hi i have been having trouble with a micro sd card(i put it in an adapter to make it an ordinary sd card). Not sure how to format it. I am not very good with gparted. I have used this in a blackberry and had so many problems then i tried to use it in a camera. More porblems. Some pictures or videos are viewable and some are not. Never seems to be anything that makes sense and sometimes i think i bought a dud card :0( Anyway don't ask for more information because it can be just classified as unstable. I know blackberry phones have all that encryption bullcrap and that is super complicated and i tried to solve this on two bb forums with no success. I thought i would format this using linux and then use it in my camera and forget about using it on my blackberry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Formatting a micro sd card using gparted

Hay,

I will try to outline the process:

*Insert your SD card,

*Run "lsusb" to see if its picked up (if it does not auto mount and open a window showing the files) <in a terminal: Applications > Accesories > terminal on a <= 10.10 system>

*Run "gksudo gparted" (mine doesn't start without gksudo rights)

*In top right hand conner click the drop down list and select the SD card (should be the botom most one on the list since its detected last) - In my system with two Harddrives it will be showing as /dev/sdc

*Rightclick on the partition and unmount if it is mounted (shown by a key)

*Right click again and select delete partition

*Righclick again and select new

*On the right select create as "Primary partition"

*Filesystem "fat32"

*Type a lable if you wish

*Hit add

*The window should now be closed, hit the green mark at the top to apply all the pending operations, now just wait for the process to complete,.

That should be it. Your card should now be formated and ready for testing. If any of the above steps fail, we need to get more information for trying to solve the issue. Bad sectors cannot be repaired on solid state memory. But let us hope this is not the case.

Goodluck
    Cherz
    Last edited by zero2xiii; December 12th, 2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added the route to the terminal.
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans
    Distro

Ah i suspect it is a bad sectors issue. Didnt know that happens on these little things. Gee i should have done this ages ago to determine if it was working or not so i could get a refund from the ebay seller. Anyway got almost to the end but then the attached image will show what happened on the very last point where i hit the green arrow:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hay,

Oka so I can see an error has ocoured, please move the pop up dialouge out of the way and then on the inscription in the log view, hit the left side arrows until all the details are displayed and recap a screen shot please. Might be something fixable, IF it is not bad sectors causing the problem.

CHerz

Beans
    Distro

Sorry i didn't quite understand what you meant. Is this right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Hay,

Not quite,
    I will do the process on a 4gb thumb drive I have and upload a shot numbered with the information I require.

The descriptions is as follow:
    1.jpg - Start screen
    2.png - The new partition creation screen
    3.png - After add has been clicked before the green check mark
    4.png - The screen after a sucessful format where you get the error, this is showing the details,

Click on the "Save details" button and upload that information in the file (it should save as a htm/html file)

Cherz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.9 KB, 39 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (39.6 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (54.3 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: png 4.png (63.2 KB, 33 views)

Beans
    Distro

Hi i tried to upload the htm file but i think because it is from the root it won't upload. The upload applet said that it couldn't :0(

Beans
    Distro

Hay,

Just open the file in a web browser and copy-paste the content, that will be sufficient

Cherz

Beans
    Distro

GParted 0.5.1

Libparted 2.2
    Delete /dev/sdc1 (fat32, 31.04 GiB) from /dev/sdc 00:00:00 ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sdc1 00:00:00 ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sdc1
    start: 8192
    end: 65095679
    size: 65087488 (31.04 GiB)
    delete partition 00:00:00 ( ERROR )
    libparted messages ( INFO )

Unable to open /dev/sdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sdc has been opened read-only.
    Unable to open /dev/sdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sdc has been opened read-only.
    Can't write to /dev/sdc, because it is opened read-only.

========================================
    Create Primary Partition #1 (fat32, 31.04 GiB) on /dev/sdc

========================================

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Formatting a micro sd card using gparted

I don't have a micro SD card handy to look at, but regular SD cards have a little slider switch on one side to make them read-only. If your card has such a switch, make sure it is not set to the read-only position.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast