Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: create windows 7 system recovery disc set

Beans

Re: create windows 7 system recovery disc set

Dell tech support think the Memorex DVD's are the issue, I'll get some other brand and try again. Will post results when known.

Thanks for the info oldtimer.....I didn't even realize they made pressed CD's/DVD's these days!!!

Mark, I didn't realize there was another software option...other than clonezilla (which will only image the entire drive). I hope Macriam Reflect is open source. I am pretty serious about avoiding programs that aren't open sourced, especially on the Linux partition!!! Window 7 is there for the very rare times when I have to have window available....it's likely I will rarely use it.

Regards,

Art

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye-windows(tm) View Post
    I hope Macriam Reflect is open source. I am pretty serious about avoiding programs that aren't open sourced, especially on the Linux partition!!!
    Macrium Reflect is definitely proprietary, not open source. But the free version is free as in beer and they don't hassle you to upgrade to the paid-for version. It is very good - I have used it myself. If it's any consolation to your open source sensibilities, the Macrium restore/repair CD that you create from the main app is Linux based! Which I find to be pleasantly ironic.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye-windows(tm) View Post
    I hope Macriam Reflect is open source.
    It's Macrium Reflect, and like nearly all Windows apps, it is not open-source. But, the free version is not time-limited and comes with all the features needed to do backups and restores.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    It's Macrium Reflect, and like nearly all Windows apps, it is not open-source. But, the free version is not time-limited and comes with all the features needed to do backups and restores.
    I was coming from the point of view where this user may at some point wish to resell their computer to someone else, and -if- they do want to resell their computer, they probably need the factory restoration discs. You can easily order them from the manufacturers web site for a small fee, and then for now, you can rock out with your computer any way you want, and you don't have to worry about restoration partitions, or anything like that. If you don't want to resell it eventually, or you don't need that option to resell it later on, then use Macrium or Clonezilla instead. If I was going to buy a used computer, I would definitely wish to have those restoration discs no matter what, or I would find a used computer that did have them to purchase.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer7777 View Post
    I was coming from the point of view where this user may at some point wish to resell their computer to someone else ...
    From that POV, you would DEFINITELY want to use the factory restore option -- if for no other reason, than to remove any personal settings or data.

However, if that only reformats the drive, you would still want to WIPE the drive first -- thus mandating that you had offline media for doing the factory restore.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12