Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell E5520 i7, Ubuntu 11.10 won't install

Beans

Re: Dell E5520 i7, Ubuntu 11.10 won't install

Quote Originally Posted by jnguyen View Post
    Hi maghajan,

I had the same problems before. The culprit is the new bios . Just go back to the last version to fix it.

jn
    Hi jn, nevermind, was able to find the A02 BIOS. Any idea why the new BIOS wouldn't work? Is there a chance that non of the subsequent BIOS revisions will work? Do you know if there is another Linux Distro that will work with the latest BIOS and be able to use all the features of the laptop? Thanks to you and everyone else who have offered suggestions!

Beans

The new bios has a big bug in it and Dell is working on it to fix the issue. When I ran the onboard Diagnostic within the bios, I got many issues such as storage, video and lcd cable. There was so many users like us complaint to Dell already, but I'm so supprise that it still there and allow people to download and get crashes.
    I guess we just have to wait for Dell to wave their magic wand.
    jn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is still a problem - no fix yet. I got the latest bios for my i5 E5520 and can't get an install to complete (using the same setup as I had on previous laptops - boot grub w/windows as a second os. Nothing fancy in that setup. Can't install centos or mint either so I'm sure the bios is an issue with the current kernel(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12