Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to download all updates for a certain version

Beans

Question How to download all updates for a certain version

Greetings:

I am writing this thread because I have Kubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) on my Sony Vaio Laptop (it is the only version that really work well on it) and I wonder is there is a way to download all the updates to my computer. I want to be able to burn them into a cd or dvd, in case something happened, like if there is no way to update it in the future from Internet and something happened to my computer.

Could someone help me here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to download all updates for a certain version

Support has ended for Karmic, which means no updates.

Beans

There is APT on CD

However as oldos2er has said, 9.10 is done with support -- what it is today is what it will be forever.

Have you booted a 11.10 Live CD or USB stick, and played around with it? What kind of issues do you have? Have you spent any time looking for fixes or workarounds -- I haven't heard of a general "VAIO Incompatibility" problem.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

As @dabl said, I use my Sony-Vaio since 9.04 and I was installing every new version, up to 11.10 I'm using now. Never had the slightest incompatibility problem.

Beans

Thank you all for answering.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CS320J. I had played around with both versions, Ubuntu and Kubuntu, 9.10, 10.4, 10.10, and 11.04. 10.4 and up gave me problems with the monitor display of the laptop, it kept blinking, a lot. Also the Gui, KDE and Gnome, on those versions, seems to not work well, the icons and bars kept moving a lot, from one place to another on the desktop. I had search for answers on the internet, forums, chats, etc. It seems like the problem is with the Hardware of this computer. The only one, I don't know why, that works out of the box is Karmic Koala.

Back to the thread, I know there is no support anymore, but when I installed this version it did an update from somewhere on the Internet. I want to know if it is possible to download this updates? (that are old, but are newer than the packages that I have on the CD).
    Last edited by alunacast38; December 10th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Beans

Ah, also, the versions of 10.4 and up, does not recognize my touchpad, and everytime my computer goes to sleep and/or hybernate, the keyboard does not work, at all. Those are the reasons why I decided to stay with 9.10.

Beans
    Distro

There is a way to clone your installation. Install Remastersys and use the .iso created, to make a bootable DVD, to have it as rescue disk.

Beans

BC59:

I will try what you are suggesting, but Do you meant with that that this process actually copy what I already have installed on my computer?

Beans
    Distro

Actually there are 2 ways to do it. With Remastersys or Clonezilla.

How to install Remastersys
    http://www.remastersys.com/repository/ubuntu-testing/
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys (a little out of date)
    How to install Clonezilla
    http://geekyprojects.com/cloning/how...illa-tutorial/

I use Remastersys and copies everything. In that case you have to remove your personal files before the cloning, to avoid creating a huge .iso file. Then you burn the .iso on a DVD and you can use it as a normal Ubuntu installation disk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alunacast38 View Post
    Ah, also, the versions of 10.4 and up, does not recognize my touchpad, and everytime my computer goes to sleep and/or hybernate, the keyboard does not work, at all. Those are the reasons why I decided to stay with 9.10.
    Huh -- the Vaio touchpad and keyboard don't even work correctly on Windows: http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ng-444407.html

In this thread, it indicates that a kernel boot option "acpi_sleep=nonvs" solved the problem for some Vaio models: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586178&page=5
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast