Thread: Hulu Desktop

Beans

Hulu Desktop

Hi just wondering if anyone knows, or can tell me how to check, if hulu desktop mines my system for data and sends it back to their server.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Hulu Desktop

ask a mod to move you to security discussions..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Moved to Security Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What sort of data? If you mean rifling through files in your home directory and sending copies somewhere I really doubt it (to be more clear: it certainly could but probably doesn't). If you mean browser tracking and information about which shows, clips, and commercials you've viewed then I would think so. This is based mostly on the technologies they've been known to use for the browser version, so I'm not sure what the native desktop client might do differently. From what I've read it's still Flash-based when you actually watch things so it's not any different than the browser version.

My suggestion would be to not have any browsers or anything open and active when watching shows, close the application when not using it, and then either open Firefox and use the BetterPrivacy extension to clear the Flash objects or grab BleachBit from the Software Center and use that to clear out the Flash data.