Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Hi I'm new to Linux running Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook. I followed this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1687719 to initially get the wifi up and running however the wifi stopped working after an update. What should I do to solve this problem ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Go through the steps in post #4 on your link again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Go through the steps in post #4 on your link again.
    I followed the steps in post # 4 but the wifi still seems to not work. I get the output :
    rtl8192ce-dkms is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Oh, okay. Open a terminal and try this:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then;

    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will not upgrade your Ubuntu release but all packages it is using. You need to get online with a cable to get this working. You might also then look in System>Admin>Additional Drivers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Oh, okay. Open a terminal and try this:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then;

    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will not upgrade your Ubuntu release but all packages it is using. You need to get online with a cable to get this working. You might also then look in System>Admin>Additional Drivers
    I did a upgrade but still nothing. When I go to the drivers option I get a reading of:

    Linux driver for Realtek RTL819x WiFi cards

    the driver is activated but not currently in use

    Is this the problem ? All I have to do is activate the driver ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Yep. Try de-activating it then switching it on again. Watch for any error messages that may appear and let us know (unless it works, that is).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Yep. Try de-activating it then switching it on again. Watch for any error messages that may appear and let us know (unless it works, that is).
    I tried the deactivating it & turning it back on again. That didn't work, is there a way activate it through the command line?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Could you open Synaptic package and search for b43. What have you got installed that has b43 in its name? Anything? Try installing b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer. Reboot. You may only need the latter but give both a go.

    I just checked your link again and those steps really shouldn't be necessary anymore. Something that happened with whatever was installed there may be your issue but let's keep digging.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 10th, 2011 at 02:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Could you open Synaptic package and search for b43. What have you got installed that has b43 in its name? Anything? Try installing b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer. Reboot. You may only need the latter but give both a go.

    I just checked your link again and those steps really shouldn't be necessary anymore. Something that happened with whatever was installed there may be your issue but let's keep digging.
    I found b43-fwcutter and and installed it + rebooted my machine. Couldn't find firmware-b43-installer in the package manager.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: toshiba nb505 wifi not working

    I'm reading this page : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ernet%20access and it says "On Ubuntu 11.04 installing the 'firmware-b43-installer' package takes care of the downloading and installation of the b43 driver" I got b43-fwcutter but how do I download and install firmware-b43-installer ? Seems like this is what I really need... maybe I need to read this over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •