Thread: GNOME 3 dark Adwaita: GTK2 apps still have light titlebar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

GNOME 3 dark Adwaita: GTK2 apps still have light titlebar

Hi, I switched to the dark Adwaita theme and added a gtk-color-scheme line to gtk-2.0/gtkrc as per the instructions in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=928975 . However, my GNOME 2 windows (like Pidgin and Firefox) have a white titlebar (regular Adwaita style), while GNOME 3 windows are fine. The funny thing is that if I switch to regular, unmodified Adwaita, then restart gnome shell (Alt-F2 r) and then switch to the dark version, GNOME 2 windows also get a dark titlebar. However, it disappears on restart of gnome-shell, and I have to do the same trick again.
    Any ideas on how to make this permanent?

Attached: a tar.gz that you can extract in the home folder to get the modified, Adwaita-dark theme.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vermind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: GNOME 3 dark Adwaita: GTK2 apps still have light titlebar

I have discovered a fix.
    I copied the gtk-dark.css in the gtk-3.0 folder of my copy of Adwaita on top of the original gtk.css. I then set the dark theme option to false:
    Code:
    gedit $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
    Afterwards, the file looked like this:
    Code:
    [Settings]
    gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = false
    I then restarted gnome-shell by typing gnome-shell --replace in a terminal.

So the conclusion is that prefer-dark-theme does not work properly, and that we still have a binary system of either dark theme or light theme, as it comes to the _titlebars_ of GNOME 2 windows.
    Last edited by Vermind; December 8th, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Wrote about conclusion
    Vermind