Thread: Changing userid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Changing userid

Hello,

I just did a clean install of 11.10, but preserving /home on another partition (and deleting all the .config directories). But my user had a 1001 ID, whereas the new user is 1000. How do I change my user ID?

The new User Account Settings is HORRENDOUS. There's NOTHING there, how can I configure something? I remember it was quite easy before.

Why hide out these stuff? Why not leave that under an advanced settings somewhere?? I can't even configure what a "standard" or "administrator" account is!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

usermod

One way is with the GUI:

Dash->Users and Groups->Advanced Settings->Advanced->User ID

Another is with usermod.

Code:
    sudo usermod --uid 1001 eks
    Either way it's probably best if you are not logged in to the account to be changed at the time you make the change.

Edit: You'll probably also want to change the group, too. Assuming that it is also 1001:

Code:
    sudo usermod --uid 1001 --gid 1001 eks
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; December 6th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Changing userid

Thanks for the answer Lars!

I'll read usermod man's page and try it out.

Because I don't have a "Users and Groups", just a "User Accounts" that basically just lists users on the system with a couple of options. And no "Advanced Settings" in sight...

Is there any other gui program with that? That Users and Groups you mentioned is anywhere in any repository?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Changing userid

The 'Users and Groups' should have an equivalent on your system, somewhere. I got the instructions from looking at Precise, so it looks like it might have changed since Oneiric.