Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Network WiFi slow speed

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Network WiFi slow speed

A lot of people have the problem to find themselves with Lucid Lynx 10.04 and experience massive issues when connecting to wireless - me too.

As a service, here some relevant links which promise relief:

Disable IPv6
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-t...untu-1004.html
    Disable IPv6 in firefox
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=disable+ipv6
    manually disable auto bandwith mediation of WiFi
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M
    (replace wlan0 with your actual WiFi device)
    Disable 802.11n on your router

I tried all of them, and none reliably worked. Every solution which required re-association wtih the AP helped for some time, but nothing helped for long.
    First, don't let yourself fool by the disable IPv6 trap - while it is "enabled" it is acutally not used by Lucid!

I have a clean install of Kubuntu 10.04 on an AMD64 Laptop with Broadcom STA driver:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

However I can reliably stabilize my connection for some time either by manually disabling WiFi with the hardware switch or disabling WiFi by software means and re-activating. This brings speed at par with Kubuntu 9.10 until some time.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour?

I already filed a bug @ launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wl/+bug/581936

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Network WiFi slow speed

I have the same issue on my Macbook 3,1. I already have slow internet at my location and when I attempt to load a webpage it literally takes 15 minutes or more. I switched back to OSX to confirm that the internet was simply being slow, but I'm able to load webpages far more quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Same problem here.

Beans

Hey guys!

I'm also experiencing the same problem, but I'm still using 9.10. My internet connection is 10 Mb/s, and the max speed I've got during the bursts of speed I experience when I restart the wireless connection was around 4 Mb/s. Then things start to go downhill until the bottom is hit and it goes as fast as 0.5 Mb/s.

If anyone find out the fix, do not forget to post it here for us!

PS.: Wired connection is ok and my PS3 downloads at max speed using wireless connection.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!

Exactly the same behaviour here. Have been away for some days without problems, but for some mysterious reasons I recognize wlan slowed down in lucid.

I remember having a similar problem when upgrading to karmic, but could solve it by using the opendns server. But as they're still in use it must be something else.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Network WiFi slow speed

I've openned a ticket both in Launchpad for Ubuntu 10.04 and in the bugtracker for Archlinux because it seems that this is a kernel(wifi driver) issues.

I have also opnned a bug ticket. Going to merge it with JohnDoe365's

(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/587454)
    Last edited by nDrewPJ; May 31st, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Network WiFi slow speed

I believe this is related to this bug. The wading-through-treacle behavior only seems to happen with WPA -- it's fine with WEP in my experience. The solution in the 35th reply to that bug -- viz replacing wpasupplicant and two libs with the versions from Debian Sid -- should do the trick.
    Alarm clock:
    sleep 8h; killall xmms; sleep 1s; cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio

Beans

@jamaisvu
    I tried that and it didn't seem to work. I am running a Realtek card but that didn't help at all after rebooting. I can't even get to the point of installing wicd, which seemed to help somewhat on my other comp (Tosh Satellite with XP and a Realtek card as well.)

Beans

Same here on a PC in my office.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jamaisvu View Post
    I believe this is related to this bug. The wading-through-treacle behavior only seems to happen with WPA -- it's fine with WEP in my experience. The solution in the 35th reply to that bug -- viz replacing wpasupplicant and two libs with the versions from Debian Sid -- should do the trick.
    This didn't work for me. My wireless is still painfully slow loading most webpages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast