Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tiny Core vs. Puppy vs. Crunchbang - Which is the best lightweight Linux distro?

Beans

Re: Tiny Core vs. Puppy vs. Crunchbang - Which is the best lightweight Linux distro?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    Hey, you could make Tiny Core plenty usable with enough tweaks. For example, starting off with an Openbox WM, and adding Tint2 as the panel, as well as whatever other software you wanna add, would add some serious usability points right there, considering TC already comes with a dock.
    It's hard to remember after eight months, but I'm pretty sure the usability of the desktop environment was not what was on my mind when I made that comment.

I would go with Debian for a system that I plan to regularly use mainly because of application support & availability, regular patches, documentation, larger community, hardware support, etc.

Nothing against TC or Slitaz -- they have their uses, and I've certainly put them to use -- but when you compare them to a mainline distro on those terms, there's just no contest.

I mean, hey, last time I checked TC didn't have emacs in its repositories. That's a non-starter for me .

Beans

Re: Tiny Core vs. Puppy vs. Crunchbang - Which is the best lightweight Linux distro?

I had Puppy Linux and Lubuntu running very nicely on an old Celeron 633/384MB RAM I had. Puppy was much quicker to boot and in general use, but felt somewhat old fashioned in its interface and for love nor money I could not get it to recognise my dongle for wifi. With Lubuntu things were noticeably slower than Puppy, noticeably quicker than Xubuntu and Ubuntu, but still acceptable for general light computer use (web browsing and word processing).
    Matthew
    Current Xubuntu machine (old, quite slow, and past its 10th birthday, yet still surprisingly functional): Celeron 633 MHz | 320 MB RAM | Xubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm curious -- has anyone tried the new Absolute 14 on an old dinosaur? I used it a couple years ago and found it very functional.

My vote? #! 10 i486.
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    It's hard to remember after eight months, but I'm pretty sure the usability of the desktop environment was not what was on my mind when I made that comment.

I would go with Debian for a system that I plan to regularly use mainly because of application support & availability, regular patches, documentation, larger community, hardware support, etc.

Nothing against TC or Slitaz -- they have their uses, and I've certainly put them to use -- but when you compare them to a mainline distro on those terms, there's just no contest.

I mean, hey, last time I checked TC didn't have emacs in its repositories. That's a non-starter for me .
    My fave lightweight distro is always going to be Crunchbang though, both 'cause of Openbox, and 'cause it's Debian Stable under the hood.

Beans

IMO, definitely, Debian, if you know how to configure lightweight environment with Debian.

Tiny Core vs. Debian -- Debian has more packages.
    Puppy vs. Debian -- Debian is more secure, Debian has more packages.
    Crunchbang vs Debian -- You can configure Debian more as you like.

I am not familiar with Gentoo.
    I cannot manipulate Slackware well.
    Last edited by kiyop; October 4th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Old thread closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234