Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [LINUX] Installing TV Tuner Card Drivers?

Beans

Re: [LINUX] Installing TV Tuner Card Drivers?

The BGT3630 is a single DVB-T/T2 & single DVB-S/S2 card. The dual card is the BGT3600.

Regarding the drivers, if you can get them working, I think they will still only support DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C.

If anyone knows better I would be pleased to hear it!!

Cheers
    D2K.

Beans

Axel,

I also have a BGT3630 and I'm struggling to follow in your footsteps.
    I have a normal Ubuntu and I've installed the 3.2.0-26-generic kernel. I followed the BG instructions and the modules loaded without any error messages. A folder /dev/dvb appears with 2 adapters. I was also unable to use scan so I used w_scan as you suggested. The channels.conf file produced has many lines such as
    Code:
    4Music;(null):618167:I999B8C34D0M64T8G32Y0:T:27500:101:102:0:0:25664:9018:24640:0
    But when I try to use mplayer, I get:
    Code:
    $ mplayer dvb://4Music
    MPlayer svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    Playing dvb://4Music.
    DVBIN: no such channel "4Music"
    Failed to open dvb://4Music.
    Exiting... (End of file)
    Have you or anyone any idea what's wrong or how I might find out?

Also, when I shut down & reboot, the /dev/dvb folder is gone & I have to reinstall the drivers to get it back. I read that if I list those drivers in /etc/modules, that would load them in on every boot, but that didn't work. I think the modules were there but no /dev/dvb. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

Beans

Hi,
    I'm a very new Linux user who ran right down into this hole when I tried to get my BGT3600 card working in Ubuntu.

I am still using 3.2.0-31-gheneric kernel (Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS) and get the following message when trying to load the drivers:
    Code:
    htpc@htpc:~$ sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/BGTdriver/dvb-core.ko
    [sudo] password for htpc:
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/BGTdriver/dvb-core.ko': -1 Invalid module format
    Is this due to wrong kernel version or something else?
    Last edited by Hedis; September 26th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Beans

Yes, Hedis, this is the same message I got but, as I suspected, it's down to the kernel version. The drivers for DVB would seem to be sensitive to kernel version so I used the command provided by Axel to install the slightly older kernel.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.2.0-26-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic
    This is supposed to modify the boot grub settings to allow a grub menu choice of kernels during boot. I struggled to make use of it for a while. If you've got the right kernel you get:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux CtrName 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Mike

Beans

MikeT23> Thanks for the reply! I'll try it when I get home.
    My goal is to run MythTV.

So the following line should give me the grub boot menu option automatic?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.2.0-26-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic

Beans

I posted a request for help yesterday on 2 items. The first was my own foolish fault - I should have read the man for w_scan before jumping in with both feet trying an example usage. I needed mplayer dvb output instead of VDR. With the correct channels.conf format, mplayer works fine. I used the command below to create channels.conf:
    Code:
    w_scan -ft -c GB -x -M >> channels.conf
    Always read the man page - it saves time in the long run.

My other problem regarding the loss of /dev/dvb on reboot I think has something to do with udev and maybe the udev rules but I'm still not sure what to do. If anyone has the answer, please let me know.

Ta,
    Mike

Beans

MikeT23 Re reboot issue .... edit your /etc/rc.local and load your modules on bootup;
    e.g.
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/stv090x.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/stv6110x.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/lnbp21.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/tda10048.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/tda18271.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/tda18272.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/s5h1411.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/cxd2820r.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/saa7231_core.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/saa7231_drv.ko

Hedis Once you have installed the older 26 kernel you need to edit your grub config files so that you auto boot into the older kernel;

e.g.

vi /etc/default/grub
    Change
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    To something like (It depends on your menu names)
    GRUB_DEFAULT="Previous Linux versions>Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-26-generic"

Then run
    update-grub

reboot and you should be booted into the old kernel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12