Hi,

I have a new x64 HP computer that supports EFI. I installed windows 7 pro using a EFI bootable usb thumb drive. Windows 7 works great. Now I want to install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx also by booting from a EFI bootable usb thumb drive. Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't seem to support EFI booting for installation. So my plan is to boot the ubuntu installer using legancy mode and download grub 1.99 and do the following:
export EFI_ARCH=x86_64 ./configure --with-platform=efi --target=${EFI_ARCH} --program-prefix="" make
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/EFISYS # if the mount-point does not exist sudo modprobe dm-mod # required to make grub-probe stop complaining sudo mount -t vfat -o rw,users /dev/sdc1 /mnt/EFISYS sudo mkdir -p /mnt/EFISYS/efi/grub
cd <grub2_compiled_source_dir>/grub-core ../grub-mkimage -O ${EFI_ARCH}-efi -d . -o grub.efi -p "" part_gpt part_msdos ntfs ntfscomp hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot configfile linux multiboot sudo cp grub.efi *.mod *.lst /mnt/EFISYS/efi/grub
sudo touch /mnt/EFISYS/efi/grub/grub.cfg

The above is from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting but doesn't cover exactly what I am trying to do.
That should be enough to get the system to boot the thumb drive using EFI right?
Once I get the system to EFI boot how should I partition the Linux system? I have:
sda - window 7 x64 sp1
sda1 - windows 7 EFI partition
sda2 - msr Microsoft reserved partition
sda3 - windows 7 install

sdb - Linux blank hard drive

sdc - usb thumb drive

Does Linux need its own EFI partition? Can it share with sda1?

Thanks