Thread: ./configure -- Permission denied?

Beans

./configure -- Permission denied?

A splinter problem related to this thread of mine (not sure if that thread and this should be merged), I am trying to install this GMP package from ubuntu.com (gmp_4.3.2+dfsg.orig.tar.gz) as detailed by this blog. I am on Ubuntu 11.04 so I realize some changes to those steps must occur, but thought these steps would still apply:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mpc libmpc-dev libmpfr-dev libppl0.10-dev libcloog-ppl-dev zlib1g zlib1g-dev libc6-dev-i386 m4 flex
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gmp/gmp_4.3.2+dfsg.orig.tar.gz tar xvf gmp_4.3.2+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
    cd gmp-4.3.2+dfsg
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    make check
    However libc6-dev-i386 was not found (I did the apt-get without that in the line with no problem), and ./configure gave me bash: ./configure: Permission denied
    I tried sudo ./configure, but it gave me an error report: sudo: ./configure: command not found

This all stemmed from my problem from trying to install gcc-4.6 the other night (as detailed in my earlier thread). My HDD ran out of space mid-make. I tried deleting the entire folder where I built gcc-4.6-20111125 and unpack the original folder onto a USB drive and start all over again, but upon running the gcc-4.6 configure script, I was given a [i]permission denied[/i] error just like the one I am running into now.

Why is it doing that?
    Last edited by pakopako; December 1st, 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Beans

Re: ./configure -- Permission denied?

No Joy?

Edit
    Didn't want to bump this thread and I don't know how to lock it, but thanks to OldOS2er. Apparently WUBI doesn't give you an fstab file. I would up using a WUBI demo Ubuntu 11.10 and that was probably quicker than figuring out all the dependent packages I'd still need to compile gcc-4.6 on 11.04.
    Last edited by pakopako; December 7th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

IDK why "permission denied", but it should be available with sudo.

are you sure that there are no gaps or spaces and that there are no spelling errors?

EDIT: I think "chmod +x configure" should do it...
    Last edited by MG&TL; December 2nd, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /path/to/configure/script
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    IDK why "permission denied", but it should be available with sudo.

are you sure that there are no gaps or spaces and that there are no spelling errors?

EDIT: I think "chmod +x configure" should do it...
    Not sure what I could have misspelled. I copied what I saw from terminal and got really confused when I did "sudo ./configure" and got that "not found" error.

I tried the chmod method, doing a 777 on all files and recursively. It's not working from the flash drive or the NTFS partitions.

Now that I've got 1.2 GB free on my SDA6, I'll try that after unpacking the TAR again into my Documents folder. I just have to wait for my PC to stop read/write from the unpacking (got a low-end solid-state IDE drive... I don't think a high-end IDE SSD exists.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    I tried the chmod method, doing a 777 on all files and recursively. It's not working from the flash drive or the NTFS partitions.
    Microsoft file systems e.g. NTFS, FAT32, etc., do not implement Linux file permissions, but you can mount them with executable permissions, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1604251

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Microsoft file systems e.g. NTFS, FAT32, etc., do not implement Linux file permissions, but you can mount them with executable permissions, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1604251
    That's awesome! But is fstab a directory, or a file I have to create? (It doesn't exist in my /etc/ directory.)

Crap, what would I have a less likely chance of screwing up, mounting an NTFS partition (which has about 5GB of free space... should be enough to configure and make gcc-4.6) or porting my WUBI installation to a full installation to give my Ubuntu install more free space to work with?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know next to nothing about about Wubi, but it's really only intended to be a demo of Ubuntu, nothing permanent. If you intend to keep using Ubuntu I'd suggest doing a real installation.

/etc/fstab is a text file; I find it difficult to believe it doesn't exist on your system.

For your original problem, try changing libc6-dev-i386 to libc6-dev. Also I assume you're outside of your /home/user folder when running ./configure, which could be why you're getting the permission denied error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know next to nothing about about Wubi, but it's really only intended to be a demo of Ubuntu, nothing permanent. If you intend to keep using Ubuntu I'd suggest doing a real installation.

/etc/fstab is a text file; I find it difficult to believe it doesn't exist on your system.

For your original problem, try changing libc6-dev-i386 to libc6-dev. Also I assume you're outside of your /home/user folder when running ./configure, which could be why you're getting the permission denied error.

Beans

I only skimmed over the first post, but as far as I can tell, I'm having a similar error for the 'configure' file. To remedy the issue, I right clicked it and allowed running as an executable.
    It's not a matter of file permission, per se, but permission to use it that way.