Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE hardware requirements blown out of proportion

Beans

KDE hardware requirements blown out of proportion

http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

Now, maybe it's just me, but that confuses me a little, and I worry that it'll turn up in too many Google results and give people the wrong idea.

The article says KDE needs 512MB of RAM. I have 724MB in my laptop, but I have a Karama theme monitoring my system, I've never seen it use over 256MB, not even while I'm doing a lot of multitasking. The same goes for Gnome. And my friend had his Xfce install down to using only 30MB, 50 or so once Gaim, Firefox, XMMS and the like were running...

I just though I'd get clarification of what they suggest so much RAM for, if anyone knows or has any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: KDE hardware requirements blown out of proportion

Prima BS article. Not least Gnome and KDE with the current versions have completly identical ram usage. Anyone can test that if they have both installed.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've used KDE on 128 MB, and after some KPersonalizer tweaks, it runs just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

guys, don't forget that not all RAM runs at the same speed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    Tell that to the person who wrote the article.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    That's right, but if KDE loaded 500MBs of klibs/kicker/kio-slaves/ktanlibglk5.0-1-2 files into your RAM, performance would go down even if your lone 256MB stick was the most insanely overclocked DDR2 PC2-1000 speed
    We should have UbuntuEvolve for official artwork!
    The easy way to nVIDIA drivers and Xgl/Compiz: Automatix and Automatix Bleeder

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias-K
    That's right, but if KDE loaded 500MBs of klibs/kicker/kio-slaves/ktanlibglk5.0-1-2 files into your RAM, performance would go down even if your lone 256MB stick was the most insanely overclocked DDR2 PC2-1000 speed
    Stop the fud non-sense please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

KDE and GNOME [the environments themselves] will both run comfortable within a 128MB system. However, if you expect to be able to run more than one program at a time, you'd want to step up for 256. Even at 256, running a particularly RAM-hungry program (Azureus or Openoffice, as examples) can cause RAM starvation and the kernel to terminate a RAM hog.

As a result, I recommend at least 256MB RAM to use KDE/GNOME, while I'd say that 'power users' want in excess of 512MB. I personally stick 1GB in all my systems, as more RAM yields better overall performance (especially with Linux's caching abilities).

As far as GNOME vs KDE, nowadays both are around equal in terms of RAM consumption. As far as performance, that's really a touchy and mixed field. Most of the times they are on par, but with 2.14 GNOME has received a bunch of performance tweaks that should improve its performance compared to KDE. I have only seen GNOME numbers to support that claim and I do not really feel any difference in my day-to-day use, so I can't confirm that except by running synthetic benchmarks and saying "Yep. It draws 10,000 windows faster than KDE. Wonderful."
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

But then again, those RAM-hungry programs aren't KDE apps at all. And the same programs would behave the same way (RAM hungry) whether or not they run in KDE, GNOME, or even Windows! Specially these two, as they are using Java (particularly Azureus).

I was able to effectively and satisfactorily run KDE on my system with only 256 MB of RAM. and that's with SuperKaramba themes and some other apps running in the background. 512MB RAM for KDE? that's just plain *@%$#!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not defending the article's author. I agree that saying KDE (or GNOME or whatever DE is commonly available) requires 512MB RAM is just ridiculous.

However, a desktop environment is just the base and is beneath everything you do on your system, so there definitely are users that would need 512MB RAM. Is it KDE's fault? Not at all. It's whatever program demands so much RAM. Often times it's not a bit associated with KDE.

However, if that person is to use, say, Fluxbox (which uses under 5MB RAM at all times), would that make a difference? Perhaps, if the 80 or so MB of RAM that KDE would be using is freed, it could make the difference between run and doesn't run.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast