Thread: How To Install And Set Up DOSBox With A Graphical Front End The Easy Way

Beans

How To Install And Set Up DOSBox With A Graphical Front End The Easy Way

I know there is a tutorial out there for this but this one involves a script that automates the process.

For the do-it-yourselfers out there, there are various tutorials you can follow, but this is for the rest of us.

Just copy the following script and paste it into a text file in your home directory. Call it whatever you want, I call it SetupDOSBox. After that click on the save icon to save the file.

#!bin/bash
    RecordMidi(){
    MIDI=$6
    }
    sudo apt-get install dosbox pmidi timidity fluid-soundfont-gm fluid-soundfont-gs
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jdk oracle-java7-installer icedtea-plugin default-jdk
    dosbox -c exit
    cp /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg .
    Check=$(grep -c 'soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2/' timidity.cfg)
    if [[ $Check -eq 0 ]]
    then
    echo 'soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2/' >> timidity.cfg
    fi
    sudo mv timidity.cfg /etc/timidity
    MIDI=$(pmidi -l)
    RecordMidi $MIDI
    sed -i 's/mididevice=default/mididevice=alsa/g' ~/.dosbox/dosbox-*.conf
    sed -i 's/midiconfig=.*/midiconfig='"$MIDI"'/g' ~/.dosbox/dosbox-*.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/timidity restart -q
    wget -rnd -A_generic.tar.gz 'http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/download'
    sudo tar -xzvf dbgl*.tar.gz -C ~/.dosbox
    cp /usr/share/applications/dosbox.desktop .
    sed -i '/Exec=/d' dosbox.desktop
    echo 'Exec='$HOME'/.dosbox/dbgl' >> dosbox.desktop
    sudo mv dosbox.desktop /usr/share/applications
    sudo rm dbgl*.tar.gz

Now, type "bash SetupDOSBox" (or substitute SetupDOSBox for whatever you called the text file) in a terminal.

After the script completes its tasks, just click on the DOSBox icon to start the DOSBox front end.

When this script is complete required dependencies will be installed, DOSBox will be downloaded and set up to use MIDI for music playback, Timidity will be configured, the latest version of a front end for DOSBox will be installed and the menu entry for DOSBox will point to the front end. You did not have to go through a long list of steps to set this up.
    Last edited by Stephen_Mohos; December 25th, 2014 at 03:20 AM.