Thread: No sound in chromium -Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Angry No sound in chromium -Ubuntu 11.10

Hello Everyone
    I will be extremely thankful if someone helps my with my problem. For last 2 or 3 days I haven't been able to get any sound in Chromium browser. It happened after I plugged my computer to a TV via hdmi cable. Now after switching back to my monitor and speakers I am able to receive sound in Firefox and all other applications seem to be working fine, just not the chromium. I tried both flash and html 5 and in both cases it's silence. Reinstalling the browser doesn't help neither.

But when the other user logs on (my wife) she is able to get the sound in the chromium browser in her user account.

Please help
    Bartek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: No sound in chromium -Ubuntu 11.10

I have a feeling either pulseaudio or chromium is remembering that you tried using HDMI audio and is staying on it. I would suggest downloading pavucontrol by either just clicking the name or typing this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    After it installed, just run it using either Alt+F2 or a terminal and just type
    Code:
    pavucontrol
    Now open up chromium and find wherever you can't hear sound and tell chromium using pavucontrol to use your speakers or whatever you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    I have a feeling either pulseaudio or chromium is remembering that you tried using HDMI audio and is staying on it. I would suggest downloading pavucontrol by either just clicking the name or typing this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    After it installed, just run it using either Alt+F2 or a terminal and just type
    Code:
    pavucontrol
    Now open up chromium and find wherever you can't hear sound and tell chromium using pavucontrol to use your speakers or whatever you use.
    Hey, thanks for this amazing tip, I was struggling with the same issue on a Lubuntu machine.(http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=10)

My Lubuntu machine used to play flash, vlc properly earlier, but suddenly one day, sound went off. I was able to get back vlc sound by changing default audio input to ALSA, but couldn't do so in flash.I don't even know how to configure flash.

Then I read a lot of documentation on ALSA and Pulse audio, but I couldn't sift out the information that my particular problem needed.

I guess , since I am a beginner to Linux what I needed was a GUI in this case.

I tried out what you suggested and now my chromium is playing flash sound as it did previously.

Thanks !!

Beans

It solved my problem. Thank you x 10000...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Glad it worked. If there are any problems, don't hesitate to ask in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

+1

this just saved me what would have been a headache for sure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.