Thread: After purging and reinstalling fglrx, keyboard and mouse don't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After purging and reinstalling fglrx, keyboard and mouse don't work

This is regarding Ubuntu 11.04

So I tried to install the open source ATI graphics drivers by removing the proprietary ones (fglrx) and I ended up loosing xserver completely. Using one of the wikis on Ubuntu, I was able to remove everything stupid I did and reinstall the ATI proprietary graphics again (10.8 driver)

Now, when I get to the login screen, my mouse and keyboard don't work at all, not even a usb keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I really need my linux machine working before my finals. It's required!

I would really really absolutely completely worship the person who could help me with this!
    Dell Studio 1558: Vincere est totum!
    Core i7 720QM | 1GB ATI Radeon 5470 | 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | 15.6inch ( 1366X768 ) | 500GB HDD | 6 cell LI-ION Battery
    Mark threads as solved if they are, it makes life easier!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: After purging and reinstalling fglrx, keyboard and mouse don't work

Log in with recovery mode (choose it at the Grub screen). Then select root shell with networking. Then when you are at the command line prompt do

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all
    This will reinstall all your input drivers and hopefully after you reboot the problem will be solved. You need a wired connection to have networking in enabled in recovery mode so make sure you have the cable plugged in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work.

At first it said that there was some error and I should run 'sudo apt-get -f install'. So I did that, and then re-ran the command above and it didn't seem to work after I restarted...
    Core i7 720QM | 1GB ATI Radeon 5470 | 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | 15.6inch ( 1366X768 ) | 500GB HDD | 6 cell LI-ION Battery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

*bump*

Any other suggestions guys? I'm pretty sad that I can't use Ubuntu, I have to use Windows 7 because of this..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Maybe try running Update Manager. Worked for someone else recently who lost keyboard and mouse functionality when purging fglrx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pme 72 View Post
    Maybe try running Update Manager. Worked for someone else recently who lost keyboard and mouse functionality when purging fglrx.
    Could you link me to that thread if possible as well? I'll try updating as soon as I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

pme 72,

I ran update manager and unfortunately it didn't help. So I followed the wiki to purging the driver and reinstalling it. That went fine - tried updating after that too, didn't work.

My graphics is working fine, it's just my keyboard and mouse that aren't working at all!

I'm using the 2.6.39 kernel, I also have the 2.6.38-8 and that shows similar problems, the only difference is that plymouth is stretched and of a lower resolution than on the 6.39 kernel.

I feel like I'm so close to getting this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It was really just a shot in the dark. The original post was from someone on 10.04 with an older unsupported card who installed fglrx and got a black screen.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post11462872

Have you looked through the 11.04 Installation Guide for ideas?

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So I was finally able to look at the wiki (I had finals), and I removed any existing fglrx drivers and installed a new one just like the wiki showed. Everything worked out fine.

Then to test it out I ran fglrxinfo and it spit out 'Error: unable to open display (null)'

According to the ATI Radeon driver wiki here running 'lspci -nn | grep VGA' should give something like this:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]
    However, for me, it doesn't show anything...

I think I need another stepping stone in the right direction again..