Thread: Gaming with Radeon HD 4200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gaming with Radeon HD 4200

Hi all,

I'd very much like to play Bastion. I run Ubuntu 12.10 on a laptop (Compaq cq61) and, although my system meets the minimal requirements, I fear the graphic card (radeon HD 4200) will not be up to the task. I used to play Dragon Age origins or AC1 on this machine, back when my OS was win7 and things were fine.

But what about a more contemporary game? And what about this graphic card under Linux?

Anyone with a good or bad gaming experience with this hardware under Linux who'd like to share?

PS: I use the ATI open source drivers
    PPS: I don't have a windows partition at all anymore on this machine

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Gaming with Radeon HD 4200

I believe you will need the proprietary AMD drivers in order to have any chance of that.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I believe you will need the proprietary AMD drivers in order to have any chance of that.
    Ok, thanks to confirm what I feared...I tried to install the legacy proprietary drivers on ubuntu 12.10 but it did not work. I guess I'll have to either downgrade to 12.04 or stick to console gaming for the time being.

Beans

Did you install your headers?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro

Did you install your headers?
    No, I did not come across these yet...Could that explain why the installation of the legacy drivers did not work at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samsom63 View Post
    No, I did not come across these yet...Could that explain why the installation of the legacy drivers did not work at all?

Latest proprietary AMD Catalyst driver version 12.9 cannot be used with Ubuntu 12.10 If you have a AMD Radeon HD 2xxx-4xxx series card. Drivers for these cards are now available in a separate branch called legacy series. Unfortunately these legacy drivers (version 12.6) have not been updated to work with Ubuntu 12.10. Ubuntu 12.10 comes with xorg 1.13 while these drivers have support for older xorg 1.12.
    Downgrading seems to be the only option at this moment.

Beans

You can try to downgrade the x-server via: http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to...-ubuntu-12-10/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Recommend staying with 12.04, its much nicer for those who dont want to perform magic just to get drivers working. The 12.04 definitely supports the Catalyst legacy drivers that you want, without any modification. A great deal of us have issues with 12.10, even after following the guides, as well as with AMD/Nvidia hardware.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    Recommend staying with 12.04, its much nicer for those who dont want to perform magic just to get drivers working. The 12.04 definitely supports the Catalyst legacy drivers that you want, without any modification. A great deal of us have issues with 12.10, even after following the guides, as well as with AMD/Nvidia hardware.
    That makes a lot of sense. I picked up in different threads that many experienced people got problems to get legacy drivers working on 12.10 so I will definitively consider downgrading to 12.04.

Beans
    Distro

You can try to downgrade the x-server via: http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to...-ubuntu-12-10/
    Installing the legacy driver package also downgrades the x-server (I checked that) but still it did not work...