Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Create your own personal keyboard layout

Beans

Re: Create your own personal keyboard layout

I can't get deadacute-c to become ć. The file /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose says that it should be, but I'm always getting ç out of the key combination, and it's really annoying to type CtrlShift-u107 every time I need that character. Is there something wrong with the UK-international keyboard, or is it a feature (it's not a bug, I've checked) of the default IME?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Create your own personal keyboard layout

Quote Originally Posted by MountainLion37 View Post
    I can't get deadacute-c to become ć. The file /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose says that it should be, but I'm always getting ç out of the key combination, and it's really annoying to type CtrlShift-u107 every time I need that character. Is there something wrong with the UK-international keyboard, or is it a feature (it's not a bug, I've checked) of the default IME?
    Compose is a different feature than keyboard locale, and many of the settings for regular deadkeys, etc, won't work as it says in that file. You have to see the latin-4 settings (I think) .. it should be [alt-GR]+['] [c] to get the character you want.
    «If I've seen very far, it's only because I was that desperate to leave.»
    robisinho : mi colección de música : favoritas recientes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roberto.tomas View Post
    Compose is a different feature than keyboard locale, and many of the settings for regular deadkeys, etc, won't work as it says in that file. You have to see the latin-4 settings (I think) .. it should be [alt-GR]+['] [c] to get the character you want.
    I do that and get ĉ. AltGr-; gives me the dead acute, but on c it gives me a cedilla.
    áçéǵíḱĺḿńóṕŕśúýźǽǿ

Beans

How can I add quick Spanish characters to my keyboard layout, without changing the whole map?

For instance if I want
    right alt+e to be e with an accent
    or
    right alt+shift+e to be e with an accent

and
    alt+n to be the n with the ~

How can I do that?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abefroman99 View Post
    How can I add quick Spanish characters to my keyboard layout, without changing the whole map?

For instance if I want
    right alt+e to be e with an accent
    or
    right alt+shift+e to be e with an accent

and
    alt+n to be the n with the ~

How can I do that?

Thanks!

You can achieve this by two different methods. They're simpler than creating your own layout, but they also come with their troubles. Don't be discouraged by this, try and experience for yourself, see what suits you best.

1. Compose Key method.

2. xmodmap method.

Good luck.
    Last edited by henriquemaia; January 9th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Thanks henriquemaia!

But I'm not having much luck with either.

I think part of the problem is my keyboard doesnt have an Alt-GR button, and also I can't seem to get the Spanish chacters to display even if is do something like Alt+164 for the (n~).

Any ideas?

When I tried the xev one, I held down alt and then pressed n and this came up:
    Code:
    KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x9a00001,
        root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 817838225, (173,373), root:(178,537),
        state 0x10, keycode 108 (keysym 0xffea, Alt_R), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
        XFilterEvent returns: False

root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 817840481, (173,373), root:(178,537),
        state 0x18, keycode 57 (keysym 0x6e, n), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6e) "n"
        XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6e) "n"
    So I would need to remap that to display n~ with the ~ over the n.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abefroman99 View Post
    Thanks henriquemaia!

But I'm not having much luck with either.

I think part of the problem is my keyboard doesnt have an Alt-GR button, and also I can't seem to get the Spanish chacters to display even if is do something like Alt+164 for the (n~).

Any ideas?

When I tried the xev one, I held down alt and then pressed n and this came up:
    Code:
        root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 817838225, (173,373), root:(178,537),
        state 0x10, keycode 108 (keysym 0xffea, Alt_R), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 817840481, (173,373), root:(178,537),
        state 0x18, keycode 57 (keysym 0x6e, n), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6e) "n"
        XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6e) "n"
    So I would need to remap that to display n~ with the ~ over the n.

Well, the way I see it, it's better if you try the compose key method. It's pretty straightforward to configure, and a lot of fun to use. Really. It's not just about having ~ + n =ñ, but having fractions, crazy drawings, even whole sentences with simple combinations of keys.

The principle behind it is:
    Once you press the compose key, the ones you press afterwards make the combination that produce the result you want.

You can check an example here:
    http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Co...f_XCompose_Map

Good luck with your combinations. I find it really fun to play with.

Beans

Post Re: Create your own personal keyboard layout

Hi there, first of all thanks a lot for all your time guys, this only shows how cool the linux community is.
    I'm in need of a bit of help if you don't mind xD

TL;DR I have an Issue, xCompose isn't working everywhere (like the searchbox in buntu or Steam for linux) it does work so far everywhere else, like Google Chrome, libreoffice or gedit.

Long story short I have been a Windows user for way too many years now, I want to switch to linux because I've heard is awesome at managing computing power (like for computational modelling and such), so I want to learn to use it. But when I wanted to do the complete transition I can't find the "us-international" keyboard I am so used in Windows, I find some close approaches but nothing exactly like it. I proceed to research and I found this guy http://tamh.info/en/win-us-intl-4-linux/ made an awesome custom .xCompose file which sort of emulates most if not all the behaviour of the us international Windows keyboard.

Thanks to your awesome guide and help to other users I finally managed to get said .xCompose file to work, nevertheless it doesn't work everywhere, It works in things like terminal, libre office, Google Chrome and Firefox, but it doesn't work in Steam or the main Ubuntu menu bar (http://cdn.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/imag e403.png how to geek pic in case I'm using the wrong name for this part of the GUI).

I could get it to work in the main Ubuntu menu bar twice for a few key strokes, but after that it goes back to normal (working almost everywhere but not in steam or the main ubuntu menu bar)

My current keyboard layout is English (US, international with dead keys)

Here's it is what I have done so far:
    • Extract the .xCompose file I mentioned before in my Home Folder
    • Added Ubuntu: I added the following line
      Code:
      export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
      at the end of the
      • /etc/environment file in Ubuntu
      • /etc/bashrc file in Scientific Linux

After this the keyboard works just like the us international one in windows almost everywhere
    But when I tried to use Steam or the Main Ubuntu menu bar it wouldn't work, just like if both apps would ignore the .xCompose file
    In Scientific Linux when I try to use a sudo app like gedit, It ignores the .xCompose file as well (I don't have this issue in Ubuntu, in Ubuntu using sudo apps is just fine, it won't skip the .xCompose files)

Then after more research I found this page: https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ComposeKey...Fox.2C_etc..29
    And I tried to follow the instructions for a "Persistent Configuration"

When I tried to do this
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/xim
    I realized I don't have such a file the default file doesn't exist in my system, because of this, out of my reasoning here's what I did:
    • Create an copy of the ibus file, rename it to xim
    • Deleted everything inside the xim file and write the following 2 lines

Code:
    GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
    QT_IM_MODULE=xim

• Create a link for the locale all_ALL (or the desired locale only):

Code:
    sudo ln -sf /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/xim /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL
    I restarted my system and it worked in the Main Ubuntu menu bar (it would recognize the .xCompose file) but after a few keystrokes it would go back to ignore the .xCompose file again.
    I managed to make it work twice, (by deleting the files created in the second part of the process, restarting and doing this second part again), but when I wanted to do it a third time, it wouldn't work anymore (I haven't tried this in Scientific Linux tbh)

Any help will be highly appreciated!!! and thanks a lot for your support so far

P.S. I know it's not Scientific Linux forums but in case somebody knows how to work this issue out in said distro as well this info would be very welcome.

System Details
    Ubuntu 13.04
    / Scientific Linux 6.4
    OS type 64-bit

Edit 1:
    If I access to the Main Ubuntu menu bar using the keyboard "Windows key" and type something, it ignores the .xCompose file, and the input I get is as if I were using the vanilla English (US, international with dead keys) layout.
    If I access to the Main Ubuntu menu bar by clicking the button on top left of the launcher and then type something, it acknowledges the .xCompose file, and everything works just fine
    No luck getting Steam to work; Quite puzzled with this behaviour of the main ubuntu menu bar
    Last edited by jako2; September 24th, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910