Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNU/Linux and computer warranty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Question GNU/Linux and computer warranty

Hello,

A friend is thinking about buying a computer. It obviously comes with Windows installed. The seller also offered him to buy the Microsoft Office Suite (for about 75€ ...what the hell? ) but my friend said that he would use LibreOffice since he wants to use Ubuntu on the new computer. The seller said that he could lose the warranty of the computer if he installs a different operating system. The question is... Is this true? It sounds to me as a kind of a joke. But is it really true that they force you to have Windows installed on your computer in order to keep your warranty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: GNU/Linux and computer warranty

I have heard that it Voids HP's warranty, but I am not sure about the warranties from other OEMS, like Dell.

Installing Linux also voids the warranty given by Best Buy's Geek Squad (in america).
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It will not void a Dell warranty. Plenty of conversation on this both here on these forums, or through a search on your favorite search engine.

Here's one:

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19265781.aspx
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; November 27th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

So, it seems that just in case the best option is to reinstall the version of Windows that the computer had when you bought it before giving it back in case you have a problem with it.

But let's put the case that the computer doesn't turn on so you can't reinstall Windows. Can you put the hard disk of a netbook on a laptop and viceversa? Are Netbook and laptop hard disks exactly of the same type?

Beans

Unless you are leasing the equipment, you can install whatever OS you want on there, and you will not void the warranty. If you start messing around with the gutts of the machine and the physical components, then yes that will definitely void your warranty, if you aren't careful about what you are doing in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaryguy View Post
    Hello,

A friend is thinking about buying a computer. It obviously comes with Windows installed. The seller also offered him to buy the Microsoft Office Suite (for about 75€ ...what the hell? ) but my friend said that he would use LibreOffice since he wants to use Ubuntu on the new computer. The seller said that he could lose the warranty of the computer if he installs a different operating system. The question is... Is this true? It sounds to me as a kind of a joke. But is it really true that they force you to have Windows installed on your computer in order to keep your warranty?

Beans

An OS is software, and as so installing whatever software you want on a computers hard drive is your business.

Beans

Get a pc with linux from System76 or Zareason.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can't speak on zareason but system76 is absolutely terrible. Faulty hardware galore. Dead pixels, broken ram slots, touch pads that go completely crazy on you despite holding the cursor in o e spot etc.... oh and they're really expensive
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

you can always copy the windows hdd to another drive and copy it back to the other original drive (or simply swap the hdd) and let the windows one and sit in a box collecting dust and put it back in for warranty usage (assuming it was not a hdd failure) and watch for void warranty if removed stickers that break when removing parts
    i did not have any issue with best buy for my warranty but it was a dead hdd so there was no way to tell and they never mentioned it voiding the warranty when i got it
    i need to get my battery replaced under warranty i will just put windows on a separate partition and fix the mbr when i get it back home and delete the windows partition
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

We can argue all day about what the seller SHOULD do, but it's THEIR decision, not ours, and not yours, regarding whether or no they will continue to honor a warranty, once they've discovered that you've tampered with the PC.

That said, warranties vary greatly by seller, and by make and model of the PC you bought.

The best way to find out in advance, is to contact the seller, describe what you are intending to do, and attempt to get something formal from them indicating that they will contine to honor the warranty after you make the changes you describe.

Even that is no guarantee (as they can claim that the person who told you they would continue to honor the warranty was not AUTHORIZED to make that committment) ... but if you have something from their support department, you're in a better position to argue for continued warranty coverage.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast