Thread: Remastersys ISO does not boot

Beans

Exclamation Remastersys ISO does not boot

Hi all. I've been using Remastersys for many years to make backups for myself and to share custom installations with friends. I however encountered a problem with (x)buntu 11.10. The ISO is created perfectly, but when booting it (either in a VM or on the main PC from a DVD), it hangs at the first line and does not display the liveCD GUI menu. This happened on my pc with all Remastersys versions after 2.015. The earlier versions did not have a liveCD GUI and the text based selection works, but even the new version 3 of Remastersys did not boot past the first line.

The problem is due to the syslinx files. When you have different versions of syslinux files on the PC (VMware for instance has it's own version), Remastersys possibly links to the incorrect version.

The fix is easy - put the following in an executable file (I called mine "Remastersys_Fix.sh"), run it and Remastersys works correctly again and boots the ISO into the liveCD GUI

#!/bin/bash
    sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/isolinux.bin /etc/remastersys/customisolinux

sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32 /etc/remastersys/customisolinux

sudo cp /etc/remastersys/isolinux/isolinux.cfg.vesamenu /etc/remastersys/customisolinux/

sudo mv /etc/remastersys/customisolinux/isolinux.cfg.vesamenu /etc/remastersys/customisolinux/isolinux.cfg

sudo cp /etc/remastersys/isolinux/splash.png /etc/remastersys/customisolinux/

You can naturally use your own "splash.png"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Remastersys ISO does not boot

were do I put the .sh file , in the ISO I created with remastersys or before I create the ISO?
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Hi all, sorry I did not make my post clear enough. The files must be copied and renamed (the .sh file will do this) BEFORE making the ISO. The problem is that remastersys sometimes links the incorrect files as was explained, and hence compiles the incorrect files to the ISO. This must be fixed prior to creating ISO backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CaponeSA View Post
    Hi all, sorry I did not make my post clear enough. The files must be copied and renamed (the .sh file will do this) BEFORE making the ISO. The problem is that remastersys sometimes links the incorrect files as was explained, and hence compiles the incorrect files to the ISO. This must be fixed prior to creating ISO backups.
    my next question, were do I place the .sh, do I run it then run remastersys or?

thanks
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu