Thread: Issues with HP Pavilion DM1-3200SA

Hybrid View

Beans

Issues with HP Pavilion DM1-3200SA

Hey all,

I've tried the IRC and got no response, so figured I'd try the forum.

Getting the following issues with the laptop on Ubuntu 11.10 and hoping I can get some fast and helpful responses:

1. Suspend/Hibernate Don't Work
    I travel a lot, so have a need for a suspend or preferably hibernate function. Right now, when I do suspend or hibernate from the Unity interface, the programs close as expected, but I just end up with a black screen with a blinking cursor (screen backlight still on). This persists for several minutes until I eventually hard-boot the machine.

This is my most urgent and pressing issue, and it's really making this OS all but un-usable for me at the moment.

2. Fn Key turns Wi-Fi Off, but not Back On
    When I press the F12 key to turn the wi-fi off, that works fine, but when I press it again, the networks menu in the system tray constantly shows my wi-fi card as 'device not ready'. The only way I've found to make it work again is to reboot the machine, even a logout/login doesn't seem to solve it.

3. Frequent Crashes from Ubuntu Software Centre
    The software centre often crashes with no reason, I can work around this by using apt-get in a terminal window, but am wondering if these crashes are known about and if there is a fix for them.

If anyone can help with the above, it'll be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Issues with HP Pavilion DM1-3200SA

I have this exact same laptop, running 11.10 more or less successfully.

#1 Suspend
    I had this problem until I uninstalled the proprietary ATI driver and replaced it with the OSS version. This works well enough with Unity, and suspend/resume works fine.

#2 Wifi
    I had no wifi at all until I installed http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum....5.0.3_DPO.zip - now it works fine, including the hardware kill switch on/off. The one downside is that I have to rebuild the driver on every kernel update - no biggy.

#3 works for me.

My one remaining problem is the trackpad. It only just works, but jumps about a lot, and scrolling/gestures do not work at all, even with the synaptics driver installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lsmithso View Post
    I have this exact same laptop, running 11.10 more or less successfully.

#1 Suspend
    I had this problem until I uninstalled the proprietary ATI driver and replaced it with the OSS version. This works well enough with Unity, and suspend/resume works fine.

#2 Wifi
    I had no wifi at all until I installed http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum....5.0.3_DPO.zip - now it works fine, including the hardware kill switch on/off. The one downside is that I have to rebuild the driver on every kernel update - no biggy.

#3 works for me.

My one remaining problem is the trackpad. It only just works, but jumps about a lot, and scrolling/gestures do not work at all, even with the synaptics driver installed.
    #2 is no longer an issue as I've found a workaround - disabling then enabling wireless via the networking menu makes it pick the device back up again.

#1 - I can't really ditch the proprietary blobs as I play a lot of games which require 3D accel (Heroes of Newerth amongst others). I might try installing fglrx-unstable at some point and see if this is fixed in newer versions, as it sounds like it's related to the video drivers.

As for the trackpad, I have two finger scrolling and left/right mouse click. Can't remember what I did to change it. The only thing I dislike about my trackpad is that I don't have spiral scrolling, and can't click a button with one finger and drag with the other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Corporation View Post

As for the trackpad, I have two finger scrolling and left/right mouse click. Can't remember what I did to change it. The only thing I dislike about my trackpad is that I don't have spiral scrolling, and can't click a button with one finger and drag with the other.
    That's odd. I can left-click and drag fine. If what you did to get gestures working comes back to you, please do tell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lsmithso View Post
    That's odd. I can left-click and drag fine. If what you did to get gestures working comes back to you, please do tell.
    When I try to left click and drag with two fingers, it assumes I want to two finger scroll. That's the only gesture I have working btw.

Confirming that new fglrx didn't solve the hibernation issue.

Edit: I remember now what I did to get two-finger scrolling & right-click working. First of all, if you did anything to make the mouse work differently (like the type=expo or whatever it is), undo it.

Then, follow the instructions here to build xerver-xorg-input-synaptics with the suse patches. This will fix synaptics driver for you.

I also managed to fix the suspend/hibernate issue, you create a file in /etc/pm/config.d (doesn't matter what it's called) and put the following in it:

SUSPEND_MODULES="hp_accel lis3lv02d"

After this, suspend and hibernate both seem to work fine with fglrx proprietary blob drivers installed.
    Last edited by Corporation; November 28th, 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Beans

Hi Corporation,

I have the same laptop and Ubuntu version. Unsurprisingly I have the same Linux issues you had.

The hibernate problem is solved now. Thanks for that!

About the mouse, I managed to get some improvement based on other threads I read from 10.04, but I still cannot select, which is annoying. Building the package, is not working.

I get the following error from dpkg-buildpackage:

1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file conf/50-synaptics.conf

Any idea what this means?

Thanks