Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - WINE errors

Beans

Question The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - WINE errors

So I was feeling nostalgic after seeing multiple videos of graphics overhauls for Morrowind, and decided I wanted to play it once more.

I fire up the Setup.exe in WINE, follow all the configuration steps outlined here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Linux, as well as on the WineHQAppDB here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=3329 then run "Morrowind Launcher.exe"

What happens is, the "splash screen" appears, with options to Play, Data Files, Options, etc., so I hit "Play" (note: all following information also occurs if I skip the Launcher and just launch "Morrowind.exe" in WINE).

What happens next is apparently beyond my ability to solve -- a small window titled "Morrowind" pops up, and a dialog box stating, 'Render creation error: "Unknown stencil mode format."'

I've tried many attempts at solving this problem to be found on this forum, but alas I have not found one that works. I have also tried running this in PlayOnLinux (since it has Morrowind listed already), but it made no difference, and I'd like to simply focus on pure-WINE way.

System specs:
    System RAM: 4.5GB
    Processor: Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz × 2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X600, 128MB RAM
    WINE version: "wine-1.2.3" (from command 'wine --version')

Being run in a Terminal:
    Code:
    robert@robert-Dell-DME510:~$ cd /home/robert/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Bethesda\ Softworks/Morrowind
    robert@robert-Dell-DME510:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind$ wine Morrowind\ Launcher.exerobert@robert-Dell-DME510:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind$ err:d3d:check_fbo_compat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from Framebuffer format check @ utils.c / 968
    fixme:d3d:check_fbo_compat Format WINED3DFMT_R32_FLOAT with rendertarget flag is not supported as FBO color attachment, and no fallback specified.
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ee90,0x00000000), stub!
    (cd into the installed WINE directory; launch the Morrowind Launcher.exe; hit "Play"; that's when the "err:d3d:check_fbo_compat..." displays.)

It would appear that "d3d" is in reference Direct3D; however I have no idea how to go about solving this problem.

Lastly, here are some screenshots:

(That's the Launcher. - http://imagebin.org/185419)

(That's after hitting "Play" or launching "Morrowind.exe". - http://imagebin.org/185420)
    Last edited by Starminn; November 24th, 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - WINE errors

I'm getting the same exact error after updating to 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Moved to Wine sub-forum.

Thanks for understanding.

Beans

Thank you, Rubi. I was a bit unsure about where to put it. I wasn't aware there was a wine category -- I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Beans

Bump for support. If anybody has a suggested fix, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Beans

Try :
    • Use of dll overrides "devenum.dll" and "dxdiagn.dll" may be necessary for the game to run.
    • Requires using winetricks to install directx9 and vcrun2005.
    • The following registry key changes are recommended (Use the command "wine regedit" and then add them as strings to the appropriate directory):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo
    UseGLSL = enabled
    VideoMemorySize = 256
    You may also put in whatever amount of memory your video card uses instead of 256.

• To get the autoupdater to run, right click anywhere on the autoupdate window (except the status text part), and then click "dedicated internet connection". It should now work.
    • If you are unable to change resolution while using fullscreen mode, emulating a virtual desktop may be useful for getting the game to allow other resolutions.

Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Install proprietary drivers?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Others have reported that installing directx using windtricks has solved the problem.

Beans

I have installed DirectX9 using Winetricks, but to no avail. The same issue still persists.

Beans

I had some Problems with Morrowind too but then I put the MSVCP60.DLL in the Folder where the Game is installed and it worked. Google can help you where to find the MSVCP60.DLL File.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast