Thread: Update-grub is not updating?

oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Update-grub is not updating?

Hi,

I removed some older kernels from my system and afterwards ran update-grub but when I boot up they are still listed in the grub spalsh menu. How do I get rid of them?

I've searched around and everything tells me to "sudo update-grub" which I've already done"

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Update-grub is not updating?

Are you sure you removed _all_ packages related to those old kernel versions? Including headers etc? Doing that should automatically remove them from Grub (without you even having to run sudo update-grub manually)

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi :
    Please use the following at the terminal (Cntl+Alt+t): sudo apt-get autoremove

I hope this works for you. One can also configure Unattended Upgrades but I have heard the kernels persist for awhile with this option. Since I have never used this option, I cannot personally say for sure.
    :

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ha!

Uhm I ran "sudo apt-get purge linux-image............"
    and then "grub-update"

I'll try the auto remove and report back in a few mins

Thanks
    Caitlin
    Last edited by oxf; January 16th, 2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I mean update-grub

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nope that didn't do it. I know the kernel is gone because if I select it to boot it tel me it cant find it. Sooo?

Caitlin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    Nope that didn't do it. I know the kernel is gone because if I select it to boot it tel me it cant find it. Sooo?

Caitlin
    Like I said, you need to remove the linux-image and all related packages headers etc. It's unclear from your previous answer if you only removed the kernel image or everything else as well...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Like I said, you need to remove the linux-image and all related packages headers etc. It's unclear from your previous answer if you only removed the kernel image or everything else as well...
    OK so the purge just removes the kernel and not the headers. I guess I need to go and remove them in Synaptic then.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    OK so the purge just removes the kernel and not the headers. I guess I need to go and remove them in Synaptic then.

Thanks
    yeah, the purge option in apt-get simply means that it should remove any (system-wide) configuration files related to the package while uninstalling it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well this is quite bizarre. I've gone through Synaptic, searching by the kernel number and removed the headers. I've tried a couple of times and I can't find anythig else relating to it. However, that kernel is -still- showing up in grub!

The only other thing I should mention is the other OS I have on the second partiton is Lubuntu 12.04. Could that be confusing the grub file? i wouldn't have thought so but....

Caitlin
    Last edited by oxf; January 16th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You should have a package called "linux-headers-someversionnumber-generic" for each kernel version.

Anyway, since you do have a separate Lubuntu install, are you sure the Ubuntu install is the one in control of Grub? If you installed Lubuntu after Ubuntu, and didn't specifically tell it to not install a bootloader, Grub would actually be controlled by the config files in your Lubuntu partition instead... That's definitely something worth checking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast