Thread: eth1 not eth0?

Beans

eth1 not eth0?

I am trying to solve a boot problem involving networking. My pc is a desktop with a wired connection and no wireless. When I run ifconfig -a it tells me I have lo and eth1. I thought eth numbering started from 0 so with one connection I should have eth 0 whereas I have eth1.

My boot problem is that it gets stuck on 'waiting for network connection' for a long time and eventually says 'booting without network enabled' or similar. After booting the network is connected fine and works.

My etc/network/interfaces has:

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

I am thinking that if it is looking for eth0 whereas my network is under eth1 it could explain why it gets stuck. However, I am puzzled by why my network is called eth1 and if they are numbered sequentially what is eth0>

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: eth1 not eth0?

Hi

Does you have a problem with a udev naming rule ?

Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    Code:
    ifconfig
    I may have to look at this tomorrow.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post

Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    Code:
    # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8139 (8139too)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:11:09:f6:71:8e", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="bc:ae:c5:8c:e6:41", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

Beans

Editing /etc/network/interfaces and replacing eth0 with eth1 solved my boot problem.

I think the problem was caused by recently changing the motherboard. I assume that the networking chip on the original board was given eth0 and although it is no longer there that has been reserved and the new one given eth1.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169) SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="bc:ae:c5:8c:e6:41", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"
    I suspect if you check the hardware address of your network card (using ifconfig) it will have the same address as the udev rule above.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?