Thread: apt-get connection timeout

Beans

apt-get connection timeout

hi all,

just installed ubuntu, and the apt-get update had lots of connection timed out errors.

we have a pretty steady connection here, so i wondered if this is a common occurrence, and should i keep running the apt-get update until i get everything through?

many thanks,

-b

Beans

Re: apt-get connection timeout

Quote Originally Posted by barneyl
    hi all,

just installed ubuntu, and the apt-get update had lots of connection timed out errors.

we have a pretty steady connection here, so i wondered if this is a common occurrence, and should i keep running the apt-get update until i get everything through?

many thanks,

-b
    not sure if this is the same prob as yours, but I've found that I often get corrupt partial downloads, so those files never download right again, clearing my partial apt folder often helps.
    /var/cache/apt/archive/partial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: apt-get connection timeout

Am also having this problem. Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit worked fine, but 64 bit gives timed out errors when doing apt-get update.

Edit: Not sure how this fixed. Right after posting this message I checked and found that UFW was disabled. I enabled it, and then updated my video driver with jockey (this is a fresh install). Restarted and had no more connection issues with apt-get.
    Last edited by jrave; November 12th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.