Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: iMac G4 minimal install cli 11.04 leads to white screen

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: iMac G4 minimal install cli 11.04 leads to white screen

Is there any particular reason you are using 12.10? It is a bit of a leap from debian squeeze and your install (from your other posts) doesn't sound like it went well. Why don't you install 12.04? nv is supposed to compile in that.

The Ubuntu PowerPC FAQ has links for you to read to try and get nouveau working. You need to investigate phantom outputs/mirroring or whatever other wierdness apple imposed on the card. Nobody with a 700/800 iMac has done this as far as I am aware. That is what you should be spending the time on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Is there any particular reason you are using 12.10? It is a bit of a leap from debian squeeze and your install (from your other posts) doesn't sound like it went well.
    No particular reason, it's just what I've used on my netbook since it was alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage
    Why don't you install 12.04? nv is supposed to compile in that.
    I think I'll try this. Why in the world would Ubuntu and Debian pull xserver-xorg-video-nv if there are iMacs out there, like mine, which won't play nicely with the nouveau driver?

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage
    The Ubuntu PowerPC FAQ has links for you to read to try and get nouveau working. You need to investigate phantom outputs/mirroring or whatever other wierdness apple imposed on the card. Nobody with a 700/800 iMac has done this as far as I am aware. That is what you should be spending the time on.
    That's what I'm planning to do... Debian Sid seems to be a dead-end because their version of nv is for the amd64 and i386 architectures, not powerpc.
    Last edited by moore.bryan; September 4th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Support for Natty has ended today so I expect the instructions to compile nv in this thread will stop working pretty soon. Can those with nvidia cards still using nv come up with some alternate instructions for future 12.04 people please? For example, does compiling the lucid version of nv work okay in 12.04? Or do you really need the natty/maverick version which you can still find here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+...-xorg-video-nv (note the separate source and patch files). Please also update the FAQ links with new instructions.

EDIT: I think you would use the dpkg-source command along with the downloaded .dsc file for nv.
    Last edited by rsavage; October 29th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456