Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

It went away a while ago and came back in the last few hours. Tried rebooting, but no luck. I don't know how to reproduce it, or what the cause is. I also tried booting the laptop without starting a loginmanager/xserver, and "speaker-test -c 2 -t wav" but no difference.

Beans

I'm new to Ubuntu, hope I'm posting in the right place!

I have an Emachines (PC) T5010. Upgraded to 13.04 and lost sound. I completed all steps of the Ubuntu sound troubleshooting guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

One thing that stood out: When executing this particular tip:

sudo aplay -l

I understand the output of that command should look something like this:

Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: Intel [HDA Intel],  device 0: ALC861VD Analog [ALC861VD Analog]   Subdevices: 0/1    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    I only received this:
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

Didn't list the card. But when I execute this: lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio",

I do get -

Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Gateway, Inc. Device 4040
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44
        Memory at b01c0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6  Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Some system info:

uname -a

Code:
    Linux emachine-desktop 3.8.0-25-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 6 20:47:30 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
    Code:
    No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID:    Ubuntu Description:    Ubuntu 13.04 Release:    13.04 Codename:    raring

ps -ef | grep pulseaudio

Code:
    emachine  3149     1  0 08:16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog emachine  3193  3043  0 08:21 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto pulseaudio

In this case, 3149 process is pulse audio and is taking Very High Priority
    3043 process is bash.

I'm assuming the "?" means I have a Pulseaudio problem? But I haven't been able to get further. Any help appreciated.

Beans

I'm assuming the "?" means I have a Pulseaudio problem? But I haven't been able to get further. Any help appreciated.
    If aplay doesn't list devices, then your problem runs deeper than Pulseaudio. Give alsa info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

Beans

Thank you Temujin with umlauts

Alsa Info here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=4a...49c0a35308c50d

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HavingFun View Post
    That's odd that the driver loads, but aplay doesn't show a device. I would file a bug. It might show the problem in the dmesg logs.

you could also try to purge and restore alsa-utils:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge alsa-utils
    sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    I would file a bug.
    Thank you Temujin. Filing a bug

Beans

Hello,

I have a Toshiba S50D-A laptop with Ubuntu 13.04 and there is no sound from the speakers or the headphones. I have been through the two trouble shooting guides listed in this thread as well as several others throughout the web and to my untrained eyes, everything seems to be set up correctly. The sound cards are detected and active. The devices are not muted. The volumes are turned up. I'm not sure what else I can try.

This us a dual-boot system with Windows 8. The sound works fine in Windows 8, but there is no sound whatsoever from the Ubuntu live CD or the Ubuntu installation.

I have pasted my alsa info output here:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6075458/

If someone with more experience would kindly take a look, I would be very grateful. I'm also happy to provide any additional information that might help.

Cheers,

Dan

Beans

@Happy Prancer:a few suggestions..
    - First, since you have relatively new hardware, update the PCI/USB ID databases (replaces numeric's with human readable names):
    Code:
    sudo update-pciids
    sudo update-usbids
    - Second, the open-source radeon driver doesn't yet support HDMI audio on newer cards (including Trinity APU), so if you're trying to use HDMI audio, you have to use fglrx/Catalyst driver.

Third, try the latest driver: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS
    If it's still not working after a restart, file a bug:
    Code:
    ubuntu-bug audio

Beans

Hi Temüjin,

Thank you for your fast response!

I tried your suggestions and the sound is still not working with the latest databases and drivers, unfortunately. The problem is with the built-in sound card and built-in speakers. I have not tested the HDMI audio because I don't have a suitable device to test it on.

I have submitted a bug report.

Please let me know if there are any more suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please link to the bug report. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast