Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally MS Office 2010 works on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Finally MS Office 2010 works on Ubuntu.

I installed MS Office Professional 2010 on my Ubuntu computers and it's working fluently.

I followed the instructions from the Wine website. The whole procedure is only for experimental purposes.

1. Install Wine 1.3.35 beta through PPA.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine1.3
    2. Now start a new wine prefix or rename the hidden folder .wine in your Home directory (if you had Wine installed before).

From winetricks,

Choose "Select the default wineprefix" then "Install a windows DLL or component" and from there install the dotnet20 and msxml6, following the instructions.
    Again from "Select the default wineprefix" choose "install a font" and select the corefonts.

From winetricks and "Select the default wineprefix" choose run "winecfg". From there go to tab "Libraries" and click on *msxml6 then "Edit" and choose "Native (windows)".

3. Run the MS Office 2010 Professional x86 installer you have.
    I used an .exe file. On Wine website they used an .iso mounted (MS Office Pro Plus x86 2010). Choose to install only Word, Excell and Powerpoint.
    I used a valid key and the online activation worked perfectly.

During the installation the installer was hang for a while but finally it completed the installation.

4. On winecfg as instructed above to the tab "Libraries" and from "new override for library" click the small arrow and choose to "Add" riched20 and gdiplus. Then click on both, "Edit" and as above change their override to "Native (windows)".

5. Final steps.
    Open Word, Excell and Powerpoint to see if they work. Then go to each one to File-options-Trust Center->Trust Center Settings, lower the security to none in every option and uncheck the Enable Protected View options. Word and Excell are working perfectly, the only problem is with Powerpoint which is not very dependable.

6. I succeed to install MS Office 2010 only to my Vaio AMD Laptop. On my desktop computer I tried a lot but failed. So I copied my .wine folder to it and everything worked like a charm.

Please post your experiences and your workarounds, because the installation is not easy, so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BC59; December 23rd, 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Finally MS Office 2010 works on Ubuntu.

I think before everything, on 64bits computers should be installed the package ia32-libs. The package concerns 32bits shared libraries for use on amd64 and ia64 systems.

It's because Wine is installing only the 32bits MS Office.

Install the package through Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro

And a screenshot with Office 2010 working with Office buttons on Unity Launcher.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

If you like to put the links of the Office 2010 apps to the Unity Launcher do the following:

Open the dash and write "word".

It appears the app Microsoft Word 2010. You click and drag it out to the desktop.

While on desktop it's loosing the icon view of Microsoft, but right click on it and go to Properties--Permissions-->Allow executing file as program and check it.

Now the icon view appears again.

You can drag the icon now up to Unity launcher. It stays there. Do the same for the rest of apps.

Problem: On the desktop stays the copy of the link, don't delete it because Unity link, is going as well.

So if you don't like to have the links on the desktop, create a folder on Home, with a name like .links and move them there. Then you have to drag and drop them again to Unity.
    Last edited by BC59; December 3rd, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very cool! I can't wait to try this out when I get home. I keep running into compatibility issues with some of my Excel macros and such in Libre Office. As sad as this sounds, it will be excellent to be able to run MS Office again on my home computer!

Beans

Angry Not the case with me!

Please may I have a copy of the .wine folder in a ZIP-file, BC59

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    So I copied my .wine folder to it and everything worked like a charm.

This is what it said

Setup encountered an error and has rolled back all changes

Thanks.
    Last edited by 14218f4114b1fd99; November 30th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The folder .wine has a size of 2GB. It's a little difficult to share.

Beans

Smile Heavy Downloads!

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    The folder .wine has a size of 2GB. It's a little difficult to share.
    I do not mind heavy downloads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi BC59,
    it is a really interesting thread, thanks a lot.

I already have installed MS Office 2007 with wine 1.2.3 (the available one from the repository) and I found a little annoying problem: when you try to shrink or cut images with Word, the page turns black while you're using this function, so you can't see the process when the image is changing, but only the results.

Could you check if it happens this to you?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
    Hi BC59,
    it is a really interesting thread, thanks a lot.

I already have installed MS Office 2007 with wine 1.2.3 (the available one from the repository) and I found a little annoying problem: when you try to shrink or cut images with Word, the page turns black while you're using this function, so you can't see the process when the image is changing, but only the results.

Could you check if it happens this to you?

Thank you.
    No, I checked it and there isn't a problem like that.
    Maybe you should install the latest Wine 1.3.32

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast