Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3.2 shell extensions

Beans

Re: Gnome 3.2 shell extensions

Documentation on writing Gnome Shell extensions is so poor that motivated me to learn Java Script and digg into /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui. It is not like I am going to write amazing extension tomorrow but so far I do enjoy learning this. I would really like to be master of my OS interface not the other way around .

Here is a great attempt for documentation: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00001.html
    Last edited by furiat; November 23rd, 2011 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just a tweak to reduce menu icon size with apps-menu extension.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js
    Find and change this:

Code:
    const ICON_SIZE = 28;
    To something smaller, like 20 or 16.

Code:
    const ICON_SIZE = 16;
    ------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm hoping that someday someone will make a globalmenu extension for gnome-shell like the one in Gnome 2. A more functional bottom panel and movable notification area extensions will be great as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ShodanjoDM View Post
    Anyway, I'm hoping that someday someone will make a globalmenu extension for gnome-shell like the one in Gnome 2. A more functional bottom panel and movable notification area extensions will be great as well...
    I see that Webupd8 has a global menu extension in their ppa.

Anyway, here's a modification for the extended places menu extension giving you more flexibility in locating the icon if you use it on the right end of the panel.

*12/05/2011 Some extensions require that you follow their installation procedure, this is one of them. After it's installed you can replace the contents of the extension directory with these files.
    Last edited by cbowman57; December 5th, 2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: *Note 12/05/2011

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57
    It wasn't bad, but it stopped working for me after a regular system update, and I haven't been able to get it working again. It's different from Unity's, of course - it just adds the normal GTK menus as sections in the Appmenu, which added some extra clicks to get to anything (so it was more useful as a way to hide the menus than as a way to access them.) I'm looking forward to the point at which Shell has its menus sorted, so that application-level menus are in the Appmenu and document-level ones are in the individual windows, but I know that's all at the mockup stage still.

Beans
    Distro

He did say it was buggy on the website, but I thought some people might get lucky.

Apparently you weren't one of the lucky ones.

Beans
    Distro

The option to eliminate one more icon from your top panel.

This is an extension to hide the network icon.
    (Sourced from the noa11y extension)

I'm on a wired connection & came to the conclusion recently that I never need instant access to those settings so why look at the icon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cbowman57; December 5th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: 12/05/2011 Corrected typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post

Anyway, here's a modification for the extended places menu extension giving you more flexibility in locating the icon if you use it on the right end of the panel.
    Thank you. I never used extended places menu extension myself since I have icons on the desktop and XFCE4-panel's directory menu which is still far better IMHO, but I'll give it a try.

If you don't mind and have the time, can you look at the bottom panel extension? I really want to have it able to use the top panel's theme or gradient and being able to switch between opened windows with mouse scroll wheel.

Beans
    Distro

I need some help with the weather extension if anybody can dissect it. I want it to display just the degree sign, not C or F, just the degree symbol. Seems like that should be easy enough but I can't figure it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm still looking in vain for an extension that would either

a) remove the message tray
    b) move the message tray to the top or side
    c) move the notifications that appear in the message tray to a gnome panel applet and do away with the message tray.

I use Docky and LOVE it, and it's quite annoying to have the message tray bar pop up every time I do something, and block it.
    I'm about to start learning Javascript, and if anyone here who has more experience would like to work on such a project that would be pretty cool too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I can't get the weather extension find my location after entering the code from the RSS per the instructions @ Web Upd8 . I'll be using indicator-weather until I can get it to work .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast