Thread: Help! Jerky windows movement when using mouse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Arrow Help! Jerky windows movement when using mouse

Hello everyone.

I am having a stupid problem which was not there before installing Ubuntu 11.10.

I have a Microsoft SideWinder X5 which features three DPI switching buttons (400, 800, and 2000 by default).

The problem is that when I use it to move around windows, the movement becomes jerky and it is really annoying. Especially after installing 11.10 for the second time because the first time it crashed my classic gnome setup w/ compiz which I loved and it was the one that brought me to linux

Nevertheless, I am trying to get accustomed to Unity now, but I have this mouse problem.

I found this bug here and followed the instructions to change mouse polling, but nothing happened.

When I used a simple optical mouse from HP the jerky movement disappeared and the movement of windows was smooth again, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with the DPI buttons or maybe the laser tracking method?!

Please, is there someone who can help

Thanks for hearing me out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Help! Jerky windows movement when using mouse

Wich I could provide you some encouraging response ... but unfortunately, added features on mice and keyboards generally don't work in Linux distros because they require special drivers -- that only install in Windows.

I had a "gaming" keyboard for a while, and NONE of the special features working in any Ubuntu versions. I had to dump it and go back to using a plain USB keyboard.

Standard "lack of special drivers" problem that continues to plague Linux distros.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Help! Jerky windows movement when using mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Wich I could provide you some encouraging response ... but unfortunately, added features on mice and keyboards generally don't work in Linux distros because they require special drivers -- that only install in Windows.

I had a "gaming" keyboard for a while, and NONE of the special features working in any Ubuntu versions. I had to dump it and go back to using a plain USB keyboard.

Standard "lack of special drivers" problem that continues to plague Linux distros.
    Well I'm not really interested in using the DPI buttons, I just want the mouse to work smoothly when moving the windows. If there is a way to disable the DPI buttons and get back how it working smooth, I would be fine.

Is there a way to disable these 3 buttons? Maybe it'll work...

Any linux/ubuntu mouse guru out there to help?