Thread: Performance issues with Oneiric

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Performance issues with Oneiric

Greetings.

I've been having several performance issues since I've installed Oneiric (clean install on a Dell Inspiron 14R 750 - 64 bits). From temporary freezes to media players becoming temporarily muted, which, as you may imagine, is incredibly annoying.

One thing I've noticed is that there is A LOT of disk access going on all the time and I remember reading an article once about changing that specifically (it's about changing from disk access to memory access, IIRC, I'm not an expert on the subject, as you can see), altho I can't remember where.

Can you guys please advise? Which measures can I take to improve things in here?

[Update]

OK, so after waiting for a while and asking at the IRC channels without any success, I've found the link: http://blog.kutakutik.or.id/linux/tu...kubuntuubuntu/
    The thing I was specifically referring to is hint #6. I've done #4, #6 and I'm planning to do #5.

Am I on the right track? Any additional hints would be *greatly* appreciated.

TIA
    Last edited by galvao; November 21st, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
    Er Galvão Abbott
    Web developer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Performance issues with Oneiric

Can you open ksysguard and check which processes have most CPU , RAM and disk I/O?

Also check my guide on KDE performance