Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Desktop Computing Made Easy (Maverick Meerkat v10.10)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Computing Made Easy (Maverick Meerkat v10.10)

um new member of website , just wanted to post out , if u want web cam on msn , go to www,ebuddy,com underneath where you sign in it will say , Looking for older version ? click on that sign in as ur normal msn address , yes o course its diffrent , but that IM service has a basic web cam feature you can use , better than nothing , im still a noob with linux , know a few things so wouldnt mind help once in a while , cant use certain flash players for apps and games online , cant go on chatline websites , i dont get it, is it true that i dont need virus protection ? as all (most nearly) are programmed for windows and linux just simply doesnt understand how to be infected by them

Beans

looks like i don't need to run the second line anymore, the first time after installing fidefrag was enough. just the last 2 back to back every time i want to run it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by opiumpoetry View Post
    Defrag (or fidefrag I should say)

sudo apt-get install bzr python-psyco bzrtools python-paramiko
    bzr branch lp:fidefrag
    cd fidefrag/src
    sudo python fidefrag.py -d /<directory name>

these instructions are not very precise.

the first line installs fidefrag.

I think I need to run the second line every time I turn on my PC, otherwise it tells me that "fidefrag.py" doesn't exist. But every time I run the second line I get the message:

You have not informed bzr of your Launchpad ID, and you must do this to
    write to Launchpad or access private data. See "bzr help launchpad-login".

what does this mean?

Well, it sounds like you're not waiting for bzr to install...patience my friend is a virtue. You can ignore the Launchpad prompt...once bzr installs you should be fine. Make sure you change into the directory (3rd line) before running fidefrag (4th line).

Traker
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and sticking things in it - Opus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by opiumpoetry View Post
    looks like i don't need to run the second line anymore, the first time after installing fidefrag was enough. just the last 2 back to back every time i want to run it.
    You've got it, good job!

Traker
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and sticking things in it - Opus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Max Mc D View Post
    um new member of website, just wanted to post out, if u want web cam on msn, go to www.ebuddy.com underneath where you sign in it will say, Looking for older version? click on that sign in as your normal msn address, yes of course its different, but that IM service has a basic web cam feature you can use, better than nothing, I'm still a noob with Linux, know a few things so wouldn't mind help once in a while, can't use certain flash players for apps and games online, cant go on chat-line websites, I don't get it, is it true that I don't need virus protection? as all (most nearly) are programmed for windows and Linux just simply doesn't understand how to be infected by them

Dude, either you've had waaaay toooo much java or you're rambling a bit. Viruses aren't that common for Linux but they do exist. Clam Antivirus is posted on this forum page for your convenience. The rest I'm leaving up to you, there are several chat clients available for Linux that interface with Yahoo, MSN, AOL, ICQ, etc... poke around some and you'll find one you like I'm sure.

Cheers!

Traker
    Last edited by TrakerJon; March 12th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh BTW folks, Maverick Meerkat works great using the latest VMware player!!! The new player has a lot of the install functionality that only the workstation version used to have...a great way to test out Ubuntu. Make sure you have lots of RAM and a fast processor. I allocated 2Gb of memory using a 2.53 Ghz i5 Intel processor and it works like a champ!

Traker

Beans

Thread moved.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Thread moved.
    Thank you sir, it is appreciated.

Traker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12