Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    121
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    '"Research is needed to develop new techniques and technology for breaking or bypassing full disk encryption."

    Which kind of goes against the whole point of encryption, we would suggest.' -- http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...led-by-fu.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sendai, Japan
    Beans
    11,296
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    Er, no. The whole point of research is finding ways to do new things...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tōkyō, Japan
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    And we will then find a better encryption technique...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    236

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    so, i was talking to a guy who works as a computer forensics tech for the MET police and apparently with a long enough password/phrase it's impossible for them to decrypt. i think with the RSA encryption algorithm (which implements a dual (public and private) key trapdoor mechanism) it's a P vs NP issue.

    A while ago a kid got arrested and had a encrypted HDD, he refused to tell them for ages what the password was, and all they could do was hold him till he gave it up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,186

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    The point of research in decryption technology is because you want to get it before someone else does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tōkyō, Japan
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    so, i was talking to a guy who works as a computer forensics tech for the MET police and apparently with a long enough password/phrase it's impossible for them to decrypt. i think with the RSA encryption algorithm (which implements a dual (public and private) key trapdoor mechanism) it's a P vs NP issue.

    A while ago a kid got arrested and had a encrypted HDD, he refused to tell them for ages what the password was, and all they could do was hold him till he gave it up.
    If he continues to refuse, they'll have to release him at some point. Can't hold him forever without evidence.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    If he continues to refuse, they'll have to release him at some point. Can't hold him forever without evidence.
    I can remember the case... and if memory serves they couldn't arrest him on the charges they where trying to prove from getting the stuff from the HDD... but they could charge him for not giving the password. In the end jail it was/is...


    404

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    328
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    cue related xkcd image...


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    213
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    At the end of the day, it's an arms war - and one in an ideal world decryption is destined to loose - encryption research is really for protecting important information - banks, governments, mega corps etc - not the picture's from tim-on-the-corner's holidays. This means the need and demand for encryption outstrips the needs of a those wanting to break it.

    Also worth baring in mind decryption is reactive - until we create AI, you can't create decrytion software for encryption techniques that don't exist yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Full-disc encryption is too good, complain CSI teams

    Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    I can remember the case... and if memory serves they couldn't arrest him on the charges they where trying to prove from getting the stuff from the HDD... but they could charge him for not giving the password. In the end jail it was/is...
    I would still feel better not giving them the password. "Obstructing the course of justice" probably carries a lesser jail term/penalty than whatever crime he'd committed. If this was illegal pornography or chat logs from soliciting underaged girls encrypted on his disk, he'd go onto the sex offenders register for giving the password, and not if he refused to tell.

    Plus, there's always the chance that a clueless magistrate would throw out the "obstruction" charge and you'd be free to go.

    Yes sir, I'd definitely not give up my decryption password if I had something to hide.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •