Thread: Kiosk Browser

Beans

Angry Kiosk Browser

For a Linux Kiosk, do you have any ideas of a suitable browser for my purpose explained in my 'Linux Kiosk' thread. I am currently using Firefox 4.0, and it is an absolute nightmare.
    Too many cooks don't spoil the broth with Linux, and Ubuntu is the best broth!

Mint-Ireland, Ubuntu-UK, SUSE-Germany, Fedora-USA, ROSA-From Russia, with Love!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Kiosk Browser

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Moyse View Post
    ... I am currently using Firefox 4.0, and it is an absolute nightmare....
    You don't say what your problems are with FF, so it make it rather difficult to advise.

Using Ubuntu as a basis for a Kiosk seems like "a sledge hammer to crack a nut".

I recently rolled out 50 thin clients using ThinStation software. Although you don't want a thin client, this software supports a web browser direct from the simple desktop. So in your case you could probably edit the conf files to remove all thin client options and just have it as web browser. The file size/image will be a small fraction of what you are using now.

If you are looking for a light-weight browser try Midori.

Beans

Arrow Re: Kiosk Browser

Well, I need the most basic browser possible that supports HTML5, CSS3, and JS. The problems with FF is that it has way too many features like add ons, and it is a HUGE target for fiddlers.
    Too many cooks don't spoil the broth with Linux, and Ubuntu is the best broth!

Mint-Ireland, Ubuntu-UK, SUSE-Germany, Fedora-USA, ROSA-From Russia, with Love!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Kiosk Browser

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Moyse View Post
    Well, I need the most basic browser possible that supports HTML5, CSS3, and JS...
    OK so Midori is one option. You could try changing the permissions on /home/{user}/.conf to "read only". That may stop any changes sticking (i.e. once you re-boot the system is back to normal).

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Kiosk Browser

Hi Robert,

You can also have a look at Webconverger
    http://webconverger.com/

Have fun finding out
    Olle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Kiosk Browser

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a way to have the computer boot, open the browser full screen, and go to predetermined page. The easiest way to do this is to use Chrome or Chromium as your browser and take advantage of the [CODE]--kiosk[/CODE switch that is available when starting the browser. There is already a howto out there for Ubuntu http://www.instructables.com/id/Sett...Web-Appliance/

I have even setup a chromium kiosk using Tiny Core Linux. Talk about small and light!