Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 15 battery life

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 15 battery life

After that you posted that tutorial, I did a full uninstall and install. After that I did an upgrade to make sure I was totally up to date and after that I followed your tutorial

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Ok now I understand...

Open up your xorg.conf.nvidia
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
    Search for 'Driver' and it should say Nvidia. If it says Nouveau change it to look like this
    Code:
    Driver "nvidia"
    Save then restart.

Beans

I have checked your solution, but the driver already says nvidia and not nouveau. Strange

Beans

You can remove your Nouveau drivers and bumblebee will then only be able to use your Nvidia drivers and not get confused by having both installed. I have done this myself and i also know another user who has done exactly the same without any problems but there always might be a risk of not being able to boot back into your install as with anything when you play around with your display drivers. But its up to you though bud and like i said the same has worked for me and other users.

To remove it in the terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    Last edited by Epinephrin3; November 25th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.

Beans

It looks like the issue has been found. one of our user noticed that if you completely disable the Nouveau drivers and kernel module it resolves the problem. You can find out how here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...abling_nouveau

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dell XPS 15 battery life

Hello there,

I am experiencing the same problems. My battery life is just a little over 2 hours. I have the following laptop (for about 3 weeks now):

Dell XPS 15 L502X
    CPU : 2nd generation Core i7 - 2670QM
    GPU : GeForce GT 540M 2GB
    RAM : 8192 MB
    HDD : 750 GB SerialATA 7200 RPM
    DISP: 15.6 inch FHD B+RGLED True-Life 1920x1080
    BAT : 6 cell 56W
    WiFi: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030

I am running on Kubuntu 11.10 (NOT UBUNTU 11.10).

=======================
    What have I done so far
    =======================

- Install Kubuntu 11.10
    - Install Synaptics
    - Run updates with Synaptics, reboot
    - Run Jockey, select recommended Nvidia drivers, reboot
    - Apparently also installed noveau drivers (do not know when)
    - Disabled Akonadi and Nepomuk (Personal Information Managers)
    - Disabled noveau with:

Code:
    echo options nouveau noaccel=1 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    As explained in:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...abling_nouveau

===================
    What haven´t I done
    ===================

- Install Bumblebee

===============
    Current outputs
    ===============

Code:
    lspci -d 10de: -vvnn
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0df4] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:050e]
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
            Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
            Region 1: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 3: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
            Region 5: I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
            Expansion ROM at f1000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: nvidia
            Kernel modules: nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb

Code:
    glxinfo
    Code:
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
    Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Code:
    grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    Code:
    present rate:            2417 mA

=========================
    What do I want to achieve
    =========================

- At least 4 hours of battery life on Kubuntu 11.10

======================
    What do I want to know
    ======================

- Does the Bumblee tutorial in this thread also work for Kubuntu?
    - How can I check whether I have restricted drivers?

NOTE: Even though I ´removed´ noveau with the commands in the link posted in the previous post, it is still present in:

Code:
    NOTE: Directly after removing noveau and rebooting my power level dropped to ~750 mA. I left my laptop for dinner. Afterwards I entered my screen saver password and checked the power level again. It was now back to ~2500 mA. Rebooting did not help.

I thank you all for your time and effort!

Beans

Cool Re: Dell XPS 15 battery life

I have installed Optimus anyways. It is working fine (it did not give me any errors). My power level has decreased from ~2400 to ~1100. So that is looking good. I however do not know whether it was due to the Intel commands or Optimus. Unfortunately my battery indicator is not working that well. I can only see percentages and no times. So I have to time a full discharge.

I ran this command:

Code:
    and got

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0df4] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
            !!! Unknown header type 7f
    Is this okay, or is something seriously wrong?

Finally how can I verify whether Optimus is really working, whether it is managing my GPU or not?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Caluca View Post
    I have installed Optimus anyways. It is working fine (it did not give me any errors). My power level has decreased from ~2400 to ~1100. So that is looking good. I however do not know whether it was due to the Intel commands or Optimus. Unfortunately my battery indicator is not working that well. I can only see percentages and no times. So I have to time a full discharge.

I ran this command:

Code:
    and got

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0df4] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
            !!! Unknown header type 7f
    Is this okay, or is something seriously wrong?

Finally how can I verify whether Optimus is really working, whether it is managing my GPU or not?
    Well it looks like you done a good job at getting it setup. '!!! Unknown header type 7f' means that your card is off. you will be seeing a big drop in battery usage with it being disabled.

If you run a program with the optimus command for example 'optimus firefox' it should switch your nvidia chip back on and use it for that program. when you close firefox it will turn off the nvidia chip again and save power.
    Last edited by Epinephrin3; January 14th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Beans

Thanks. I thought I had done something really bad. Unfortunately I f'd OS afterwards. Whenever I rebooted my system, the only thing I could do was log-in and then everything became black. Not one button or shortcut worked. This is however not related to Optimus, but just me being stupid and a linux-n00b.

I formatted my entire drive and reinstalled Windows 7 (yes I am dual-booting). Still need to install Kubuntu. Probably doing that tonight.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

One last question. You said your battery lasts for about six hours. But do you have the 6 or 9 cell battery? Cause mine is giving me just 4 hours and I have a 6 cell. So I am guessing that you have a 9 cell, correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast