Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 "installation type" No Spare Partitions available

Beans

Question 11.10 "installation type" No Spare Partitions available

Hello and thanks to all that take the time to read this.

I have just downloaded the 64bit distribution of Ubuntu 11.10. I am trying to install alongside windows seven on an HP G72-B66US notebook. I have the ISO image on a thumb drive and am using Netbootin to install. Everything seems to be working fine. I followed the prompts to a dialog box titled "Installation Type".
    This is where I am confused as to how to procede.

I just performed this same action on my wife's Thinkpad and at this point I had a GUI box to drag a divider between windows and linux creating partition space +/- for each. That install went flawlessly and is working fine.

I have a dedicated ubuntu desktop machine that I love. I am trying install Ubuntu on my work laptop.

The "Installation type" window I am looking at shows 3 ntfs partitions and a fat32.

There are buttons for: (my comment)
    New partition table (does nothing)
    Add... (does nothing)
    Change... (opens dialog "edit a partion")
    Delete (did not try for obvious reasons)
    Revert (same as above)

At the bottom there is a drop down titled "Device for boot loader installation:"

Looking for info to move ahead with out failure.

I snapped a picture and will upload.

I would like to keep the win7 install and use Ubuntu alongside windows. I need a few windows apps for work, but prefer to use Ubuntu. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 11.10 "installation type" dialog box help

From your description it would appear that you have 4 primary partitions - nowhere for the installer to install too.

It's probably the case that you'll need to remove one and resize another to make room for the ubuntu install, should be able to take a screenshot and attach it to a post.

Beans

Here is a low quality image of the screen in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elfy; November 19th, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: image rotation

Beans

The image wasnt rotated on my phone. I will have to fix that.

It does appear that there are 4 partitions. 1 is most of the drive (nearly 500G, another is less that 20G and the other 2 are tiny. I am not sure why there are 4. My question is really, "What is the best course of action at this point?". I would like to take some of the 400+G partition being used by Win7 and allocate to Ubuntu. At this point I have enough knowledge to really screw things up, and lack the confidence to march forward.

Thanks for the reply Forest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As I said - 4 partitions already - I'd guess that one is some sort of restore partition, which would be - ONCE you'd created the restore discs - the one to remove - but I have not any recent experience with windows so couldn't say which was which.

You will though if you wish to install properly need to do so - in order that you can create an extended partition - linux will install on logicals partitions inside and extended.

The other option would be to install with wubi - inside windows - not a long term solution in my opinion.

You might also want to hit PrtScn and attach a screenshot that people can see without mucking about

. At this point I have enough knowledge to really screw things up, and lack the confidence to march forward.
    Been there - little tentative steps at this point will be good.

Actually - while running the livecd/usb go here and follow the instructions - might give some idea as to which is the restore partition - but do your restore disc before doing anything else. http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Edit - edited the title a bit to give more information, there are a lot of people here very knowledgeable about current windows issues.
    Last edited by Elfy; November 19th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You have no free space on that drive.

I am guessing that /dev/sda3 is a recovery partition, /dev/sdb2 is the main windows partition and /dev/sda1 is the windows boot partition.

You would have to resize the windows partition in order to make room for Ubuntu to install, which you can do from inside windows.

Also, please make a backup before messing with resizing partitions as things can go wrong.

+1 to bootinfoscript.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You would have to resize the windows partition in order to make room for Ubuntu to install, which you can do from inside windows.
    There is actually another partition not visible - sda4 - so resizing at the moment is not advisable - they'll get dynamic disks I think ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Didn't see sda4.

They should be basic disks in start unless they've already converted them to dynamic. In Win7, at least, you can just resize the partition by going into computer management > disk management and right clicking on the partition you want to resize and then selecting "shrink volume."

I did that on my laptop and netbook.

EDIT: That actually looks a lot like the partition structure on my HP laptop.

/dev/sda1 = 100MB NTFS
    /dev/sdb1 = 580GB NTFS
    /dev/sdc1 = 13.80GB NTFS
    /dev/sdd1 = 100MB FAT32

Duh, the OP said they were running this on an HP. *headdesk*
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 19th, 2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: reading comprehension fail!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I understand that much about these newfangled fill up the drive win7 thingies - still stands that to get an extended one of the existing primaries will need to go - unless it's GPT - or whatever that other new thing is ... I'd so need to post in this sub forum if I had a new windows machine to deal with ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    I understand that much about these newfangled fill up the drive win7 thingies - still stands that to get an extended one of the existing primaries will need to go - unless it's GPT - or whatever that other new thing is ... I'd so need to post in this sub forum if I had a new windows machine to deal with ...
    Hrm, good point. You can only have 4 primary partitions.

Not sure how that's going to work since I haven't tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop.

I'd go with installing Ubuntu in a VM tbh (which is what I'm doing on my laptop), it would be less hassle and less risk of breaking something in Windows.

You won't get the full experience, but it might be easier to deal with then messing with the physical partitions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast