Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: video files do not play correctly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: video files do not play correctly

Have you tried some other software? I have seen the same behavior in Fedora-16 but it occurs only in Totem (didn't try vlc), but other players work just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
    Have you tried some other software? I have seen the same behavior in Fedora-16 but it occurs only in Totem (didn't try vlc), but other players work just fine.
    I saw no difference when I tried vlc. Now I've put back the X.Org radeon drivers, and now videos seem to play, shall we say, sufficiently.

Only now I can't get any 3d acceleration. Playing UFOai with the older card I got a semi decent 40-50fps with all the fancy shadings etc turned off (not that the game would have actually worked with them on), but now I'm getting less than 10fps - even as it is a turn based game, that's just horrible. I started another thread about it though, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886853

Beans
    Hidden!

Try LXDE! This desktop interface is lightweight and allows more of your computing power to your applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Try LXDE! This desktop interface is lightweight and allows more of your computing power to your applications.
    Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't I be treating the symptoms instead of the problem?

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't I be treating the symptoms instead of the problem?
    Well, yes you are right,but it might help until you find a good driver for your graphics card. If you 'only' install LXDE as an extra desktop environment, it costs very little to try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just noticed that *some* files do play correctly, weird thing is that a file that does play correctly is a "dv avi" file from a video camera while other similar files do not play correctly. Is there a tool that shows me which codec a file needs/uses? Because I think that this is a codec issue.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Normally the video players show what codec is used (there is a menu entry for it). Often the file browser (Nautilus) can display it too (right click on the file and select properties ...)

You can also find it running mplayer or ffmpeg from the command line while playing or trying to convert. Both of these tools can manage a lot of encodings (codecs). Also vlc can manage a lot of encodings. I hope that at least one of these tools can manage your files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12