Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't get past splash screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't get past splash screen

Hi, I am trying to do a clean install of Oneiric using a live USB flash drive. The installation seemed to go fine and then I got to the desktop, but it never displayed anything but the default background and purple bars at the top and on the left where I assume all the app shortcuts and controls should be. I am very much a newbie, so the posts I have found so far about this problem are a little over my head. I have a BIOSTAR COMBO6S3B with an NVIDIA GeForce 7025 onboard video. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't get past splash screen

Can anyone help me with this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Tider View Post
    Hi, I am trying to do a clean install of Oneiric using a live USB flash drive. The installation seemed to go fine and then I got to the desktop, but it never displayed anything but the default background and purple bars at the top and on the left where I assume all the app shortcuts and controls should be. I am very much a newbie, so the posts I have found so far about this problem are a little over my head. I have a BIOSTAR COMBO6S3B with an NVIDIA GeForce 7025 onboard video. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    I'm confused by your title versus your description... Even your description is confusing. No matter. Lets see if I can ask some questions so I have a clear idea of where you're at.

You booted from a LiveCD image from a USB drive. You said the install "seemed" fine, then went to a desktop. After that, it gets confusing.
    - Did your install finish, ask you to remove the LiveCD and reboot? -or- If not, did it lock up to blank install desktop?
    - If it did complete the install, did it boot past the Plymouth Splash and the Login Screen?
    - Next milestone would be the Ubuntu Welcome Audio and the initial desktop panel of unity... Did it get that far without getting a Untity error saying that your graphics hardware...?

So if it got that far...It could be 2 things (Might be other than, but most common): Video driver or compiz

First and primary- What video driver diid you install? If an NVidia driver, is it a Binary or Debian package? What version driver are you using?

Have you tried this yet?
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure compiz
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 19th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro

Sorry about the confusing title and description. I forgot what I had typed in the title when I typed the description. The truth is that tried installing several times, and sometimes it didn't make it past the splash screen right after I chose "Install to hard drive" and sometimes it would make it past that, through the installation (I know it installed because it eventually gave me the message, "Installation is complete. You need to restart the computer in order to use the new installation."), and then when it booted it just gave me the feaureless screen that I described above. Right now, it is sitting on that screen--desktop with background and two blank purple bars, one on the left and one at the top. There are no icons, no text anywhere, nothing.

Answers to your questions:

This time, yes the install finished, and yes it prompted me to reboot.

Yes, it booted past the splash screen, though I don't know what Plymouth is, and it doesn't give me a login screen because I told it in the installation to automatically log me in.

I don't know about the Ubuntu welcome audio because I didn't have the speakers plugged in. I don't know what the "desktop panel of unity" is, but the answer is certainly no because I have not seen anything after rebooting but the featureless screen described above. No, I didn't get an error message of any kind after rebooting.

I didn't install a video driver; I don't know how to do that. All I know is that the specs on newegg.com where I bought the motherboard a couple weeks ago said "Onboard Video Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 7025."

I haven't tried that code yet because I can't figure out how to get to a console where I can enter Linux commands.

Thanks very much for the help so far. I eagerly await your reply.

Beans
    Distro

I figured out how to get to the command prompt on another website.

Code:
    didn't work. I ran it, rebooted, and got the same result.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I figured out how to get to the command prompt on another website.

Code:
    didn't work. I ran it, rebooted, and got the same result.
    Now install your video driver, which should be nvidia-current.
    - Get back to a terminal session through <cntrl><alt><F2> or <cntrl><alt><t> or however it worked for you
    - Open the Additional Drivers applet
    Code:
    gksudo jockey-gtk
    - Select the nvidia-current driver
    - Press activate
    - Close
    - Restart the X-Session
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    *** Yes, the pro's and cons of "autologon!" Users think it's convenient, but when things go wrong, it cut's out the ability to change to a different desktop during login. (Like Unity 2D, etc.) Sometimes it's nice having the ability the select a different desktop to do something.

Beans
    Distro

- Open the Additional Drivers applet
    [code]
    gksudo jockey-gtk
    That command resulted in this console message:

Code:
    (gksudo:1586): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    [my username]$ [  141.564369] usbhid 2-1.3:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint
    I'm pretty sure I can't do any of the other steps you gave after that.

Beans
    Distro

After doing a little searching on the web, it seems like this may have something to do with my KVM switch. Could that be the problem? The way I have it rigged right now, it would be a real pain to disconnect it and an even bigger pain to go without it indefinitely because I have two computer running simultaneously. Whaddaya think?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After doing a little searching on the web, it seems like this may have something to do with my KVM switch. Could that be the problem? The way I have it rigged right now, it would be a real pain to disconnect it and an even bigger pain to go without it indefinitely because I have two computer running simultaneously. Whaddaya think?
    On the KVM switch-- You know it's hard to fight 2 problems at once, besides being frustrating.

Here is what I would do. Think of this as a temporary kind of diagnostics thing. Hook the monitor and keyboard directly to the computer > Install the graphics drivers (instructions below > work out the problems... Then hook it back up to the switch.

What you need to know about Linux/Unix graphics and a KVM switch, is that when a box w/NVidia or ATI graphics boot the X-Session under Linux, it probes it's ports and see's what's there. If it doesn't see a device, it turns off that port. It a device is booted, but turned off, then on (also if switched), then it loses the sync and forgets with the resolution. (Thats a very basic explanation of a larger picture.) There's ways around all that. Just more work...

But for now... Install your driver following the instruction in this post:
    Installing NVidia Packaged Drivers

Then that will be out of the way

Beans
    Distro

That got me into X, but I'm still having problems. For one, my background is totally white. I selected a different background, but it is still white. Another thing is that if I resize a window too large, the contents of the window go totally white. I looked at the Additional Drivers module, and it shows a list of drivers available. One of them is activated, nvidia-current, but when I click on it, it says, "Activated, but not currently in use." I couldn't figure out how to put it "in use." Is that what I need to do, or something else?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast