Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't get all my comcast stations.

Beans

can't get all my comcast stations.

I just got my system working with Mythbuntu 11.10 and only get about a third of my comcast limited basic channels.

after I setup everything I go in and setup my Input connections to scan for channels. In the frequency table I get a lot of options and none have worked very well.

broadcast gets nothing
    cable high get most of the hd channels, but not all.
    cable gets only a few hd as well.

not sure what else to try.

is there a way to just try them all at once?

under my capture card options, only the dvb found my card's tuner (Samsung S5H1411).

I have the Hauppauge HVR-2250 PCIe tuner card.

Thanks in advance
    -=Mark=-
    GigaByte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Rev. 1.0) F9 * i3-2100T * 8GB (2 x 4GB Ripjaws) * Powercolor HD 5670 * Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans

Re: can't get all my comcast stations.

Hi,

Maybe try using w_scan to scan for your channels and create a channels.conf, which you can then import into mythtv.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You will only get unscrambled channels unless you have one of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706001
    Along with a cable card (Provided By Comcast)

Not sure if thats your problem though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ceton doesn't work on Linux. sadly if you want all your channels, you will need a cable box provided by your cable company.

People you need to read up on this stuff completely. I find too many people on here make decisions based only on half-read, skimmed, or ill-gotten knowledge.

The HVR-2250 is a great card. I love mine. But when i got it I knew it could only watch TV that was not protected, when I first got it I knew only the digital tuner worked in Linux at the time, I knew if I wanted to record premium channels like HBO or heck Comedy Central I needed something like a HD-PVR.

Cable companies only have to offer local stations unscrambled. Mostly the local affiliates for stations like NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox. Sorry if you feel cheated but its the truth. You would have known this if you read up before building your own HTPC.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

The easy way to test this (if you have a digital-ready TV) is to hook the cable directly up to your TV.

Any channel you get with the TV should show up in MythTV, although it may take some tweaking to get it. Channels that are scrambled on your TV will be scrambled on MythTV.

One solution is to set up an IR blaster on your MythTV box, which can send a signal to your cable box to change channels. The downside is you won't be able to record multiple shows at once with this setup, nor can you watch one thing on your TV while recording something else.

Beans

I have limited basic from comcast which doesn't need a box. For some reason I only get about a dozen channels when I should be getting over 40. I at least should be getting 13 digital channels, plus all the local channels in digital as well, which should be no less than 18 digital channels total.

I also have over 20 SD channels, but not sure if I need the antenna mode for that? I assumed all channels were digital with the new law. the 18 above I'm talking about are from the digital package.

even in windows I don't get them all, but they are on 3 different programs, so each one may be working differently than the other. I tried to use one program to search all channel types and ended up with over a 100 channels, but I was getting triplicate or more of channels.

anyway, do anyone know which freq. table I should be using? or if there is a way to scan them all at once?

-=Mark=-
    GigaByte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Rev. 1.0) F9 * i3-2100T * 8GB (2 x 4GB Ripjaws) * Powercolor HD 5670 * Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rmjohnson144 View Post
    I have limited basic from comcast which doesn't need a box. For some reason I only get about a dozen channels when I should be getting over 40. I at least should be getting 13 digital channels, plus all the local channels in digital as well, which should be no less than 18 digital channels total.

I also have over 20 SD channels, but not sure if I need the antenna mode for that? I assumed all channels were digital with the new law. the 18 above I'm talking about are from the digital package.

even in windows I don't get them all, but they are on 3 different programs, so each one may be working differently than the other. I tried to use one program to search all channel types and ended up with over a 100 channels, but I was getting triplicate or more of channels.

anyway, do anyone know which freq. table I should be using? or if there is a way to scan them all at once?

-=Mark=-
    The 2009 law cutting over to digital that June only applied to over-the-air broadcasting; the cable companies were left to their own schedules as to when they wished to implement the cutover from analog to digital and reclaim the frequencies.

The process isn't complete with Comcast. They vary from town to town; even street to street. I just lost the analog version of one non-local PBS station as recently as a couple of weeks ago, over 2 years after the cutover started. The History Channel left analog only 10 months ago. So check the "basic" channel list for your street address at comcast.com See which of these "basic" channels in the list lack the footnote that says: "Available in all digital format. Digital capable equipment required." These are still being piped in to you in analog.

Because it is still (barely) possible that in your area Comcast has not cut over all (or even most) of the analog channel set that used to reside on channels 21-99 to digital. In this circustance, your "missing" channels would still to be found in analog with an analog scan.

With "basic" service, the locals (those which would be available otherwise in digital over the air) should be provided SD via clear QAM. Not necessarily HD. In Input Connections you should find these in a QAM256 (or possibly QAM64) scan starting around channel 30-something and then in a couple of clusters around 70-something to 80-something. Maybe one or two channels as high as around 118-120. So do a full scan (not high) for QAM 256, then QAM 64. You should start getting locks for encrypted digital channels by the 20s, if these frequencies have been reassigned to digital.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Ceton doesn't work on Linux.
    Yes it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Ceton doesn't work on Linux. sadly if you want all your channels, you will need a cable box provided by your cable company.

People you need to read up on this stuff completely. I find too many people on here make decisions based only on half-read, skimmed, or ill-gotten knowledge.

The HVR-2250 is a great card. I love mine. But when i got it I knew it could only watch TV that was not protected, when I first got it I knew only the digital tuner worked in Linux at the time, I knew if I wanted to record premium channels like HBO or heck Comedy Central I needed something like a HD-PVR.

Cable companies only have to offer local stations unscrambled. Mostly the local affiliates for stations like NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox. Sorry if you feel cheated but its the truth. You would have known this if you read up before building your own HTPC.
    Um, Yes it does.

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/linux-drivers/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ceton doesn't work in Linux because of DRM. You'll be lucky if maybe 15 of your channels can be recorded from. Sure it might have driver support. But it suffers from the same flaw as a direct firewire connection of my cable box.

http://www.gadgetwisdom.com/2010/08/...able-to-linux/
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast