Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Desura Game Distribution Platform

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

I've purchased a few games from Desura. Abolutely flawless experience. Towns is the latest game that I am playing; they offer it there. It was on sale the last time I checked.

Check it out if you are willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofox View Post
    By the way, Desura has recently become pretty popular for Visual Novel games. Since they tend to be written in Ren'Py, they've all got Linux versions. So if you're interested, check them out. Most have demos.
    There are also a few visual novels (paid apps) in the Ubuntu Software Center, too.
    AMD FX-9590 4.7Ghz, 256GB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM, nVidia 970 GTX, 16GB DDR3

Beans

Hopefully by the end of the year a new version of the client will be out too, I follow the github for Desurium (the open source client for Desura) and it has been slowly chugging along, currently 3 major bugs targeted for an updated Linux build.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If anybody is interested opensource client of Desura called Desurium, can install latest version quickly and simple from repository, which updates weekly user Makson from polish Ubuntu forum.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/desurium
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install desurium

In comparison to closed Desura client, the Desurium features the following enhancements:

- New CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) to display graphics
    - Ability to add shortcuts to the games on the desktop and the menu with a click
    - Faster usability
    - Improved integration with Ubuntu
    - A lot of fix..

Beans

Am I understanding correctly? The Desura client for Linux is open source? Surely that will give it an advantage over the Steam client which won't be open source, right?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    Am I understanding correctly? The Desura client for Linux is open source? Surely that will give it an advantage over the Steam client which won't be open source, right?
    In which way? At the end of the day they are both just the distributors for the real issue at hand which are the games. Which ever has the games you want (and which work in Linux) is going to be the one you choose.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    In which way? At the end of the day they are both just the distributors for the real issue at hand which are the games. Which ever has the games you want (and which work in Linux) is going to be the one you choose.

There's quite a fuss over at Phoronix over Steam being DRM and the like and one guy is even saying that not even GOG is good enough, hence why I was wondering about this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Of course it's best to have an open source client. This way the community can build more functionality into the client instead of being at the mercy of the developers, and to better understand bugs and create solutions. This can also allow distros which don't receive attention from the developers to add workarounds specific to them.

Of course, this is at least theoretically. There must be interest on the client by community developers.

Beans

The problem with open source as opposed to paid developers working on a client as Desurium has shown - progress can be slow, by the time Steam comes out I am hoping Desurium is a bit more stable.

What not found said is true though - go where the games are you want.

Beans

Question Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

I get the "file does not appear to be a tar" error every time I download desura. How do I fix this? I've attempted on many different computers.

And how would one install Desurium in fedora 17?

Thanks -Dlambert
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Desure seems quite interesting, provided Linux games way before than steam.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast